What standard?

Discussion in 'Option One' started by duluthboats, Apr 11, 2002.

1. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

Paul,
    We have to decide what standard we are using. I'm fine with US or Metric. I hate going back and forth. Can we have a voice vote on this please. I vote Metric :eek:
    Gary

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

I'll go with Gary - metric!

3. ErikG

ErikG Senior Member

I vote Metric too...

Without a poll even :D

4. duluthboats

Sorry to have this come up but when I read Will's post about legal trailer size, it dawned on me that this is a world boat. I'm sure the max beam for a trailer in the US would be 2.5m if we used the metric system here. In any case 2.5m is just a little smaller than 8.5 feet. I'm thinking, working in one system will avoid errors. For those that are not use to the metric system it will be good practice. ;) Some day you'll need it.
    Gary

5. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

The strange thing is that I remember hearing 15 years ago that everyone would have to make the switch to metric and thinking it was right around the corner, but it only seems a tiny bit closer now than it was then, and general enthusiasm about "the switch" seems less.

Good point about meeting world trailoring requirements, as was brought up in this thread (2.5 m = 8'-4" ? or 2.5 m = 98.43" = 8'-2.43")

--I guess you can tell that I haven't converted to metric yet even though it's been on the to-do list for a little while ;)

6. duluthboats

Over 30 years ago I was told to learn metric because the world is changing. Well, the world has changed and the US is still digging in its heels and refusing to follow. I make custom repair parts for Airbus A320s. On a daily basis I’m trapped between the two measuring systems. I get to see the errors, confusion, and waste that this causes. OK, end of rant. ;) I’ll work with what ever the group would like.
    Gary

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.