Some questions.

Discussion in 'Option One' started by fcfc, Jun 8, 2006.

1. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

Although it is not a true O-1 request, I would like to know what are the available powerboats that fit theses specifications (mine, but IMHO not too far from O 1):

Trailerable for me so :
    max Beam 2.55 m (8' 4"), strict, not negotiable.
    max weight on trailer 2200 kg (4800 lbs). strict, not negotiable.

This to be able to tow without oversize permit, and be towable by an "ordinary" european SUV max towed weight including trailer 3000kg, 6600 lbs.

weight on trailer may rely on removing things from the boat to reach this weigth. In fact, you will have too since there is also a minimum real car weigth. (real car weigth must be > towed weigth / 1.3). Full towing capacity is generally reached for full loaded weigth on euro suv. If you have nothing to put in your car, you have to put ballast to make weigth and be legal.

CE design category : B able to survive to wind force of Beaufort force up to 8 (34 - 40 kts) and significant wave heights of up to 4 meter (13 ') for 4 person. strict, not negotiable.

Inboard diesel engine.strict, not negotiable.
    To have some security, electricity, hot water.

And then some comfort : suitable for a family of 4 for a week : parents and 2 kids. Separate head with shower (so headroom and hot water). Separate sleeping area. 12v electric fridge and microwave oven. Water for 3 days. Black tank and grey tank (3 days too) to allow "restricted area" anchorage.

And a minimal cruise speed of 12 kts, sustainable for 24 hours on good weather. (about 300 nm range). Beyond that,I think there is a trailer to go faster, further.

For now, I have found nothing that matches my criterias, whatever the price. but perhaps I have missed some.

Thanks.

2. Vega

Vega Senior Member

There are at least two boats that fit your criteria (or almost), this one and another with similar caractheristics, made in Germany :D :D :D

Attached Files:

3. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

Not CE category B, neither inboard diesel, nor hot shower.

But the US price is outstanding (20 000$). They claim to have sold 35 000.

I have not found the german counterpart.

I would prefer like theses, but none has it all :p

Attached Files:

4. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

Vand de stadt also made the same variation as M Joubert Nivelt Andreyale (10m , 12 m, 15 m) or N Irens rangetec (12m, 14 m project, 17m project).

Van de Stadt are 8.5m, 1.6 t, (admiraltender), 9.5m, 2T (motorlaunch 31), 12m 3.4 t (motorlaunch 40). Perhaps they are a bit lighter and faster the previous series. (Motorlaunch 40 has twice the power rangeboat 40).

I am just waiting for something like the admiraltender, 600 kgs heavier, perhaps 50cm / 1M longer, with some superstructures adapted to cruise. It should still be trailerable. Less powerfull than the motorlaunch 31. Say top speed 16 kts. This would allow for a lighter engine, ligther scantlings, to leave for some weigth for cruise amenities.

I do not see what technically prevent this to be done, but I am not naval architect.

Attached Files:

5. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

Yet another one.
    Length 8.9m (29), beam 2.5 (8'2").
    Maybe on the heavy side.

Would prefer a true pilothouse instead of the tent.

BTW, is this forum still alive ?

Attached Files:

6. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Looks expensive. What is the price?
    It is a B class boat?

7. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

I dont know.

Builder site is so well done that I could not find basic characteristics like length or beam on it.

For powerboats CE category, I have heard the current situation is interim. A boat like the seaward 35 you listed in design forum is category B only, like this inflatable http://www.cantiericapelli.com/ing/gommoni/630easy/index.htm powered by a single outboard. There is even a 5m rib single outboard certified in category B, but I do not remeber the name. Would you agree to be 200 nm offshore by force 8 in a 6m inflatable with a single outboard ? Which should be valid conditions for a category B powerboat.

So the current stability checking would be replaced by a HIX Handling IndeX, similar to STIX for sailboats. The sailboat STIX has much more validation since it is derived from a offshore racing jauge.

Side note : STIX also be cheated (although limitedly) like a jauge. You can see in http://www.oossanen.nl/pubs/VOA_MY_CEM.pdf page 8, figure 4, where they try to optimize STIX from Bwl and D/L.

I stop, it is no longer Option ONE.

---Edit corrected boat name.

8. luke23

luke23 Junior Member

nice boats. i like all.

9. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

fcfc,
    my JetJane 25 fulfills your criteria, but it's still in an early design stage. I've put the question about LH to a Notified Body. Waiting for an answer.
    Cheers

10. Vega

Vega Senior Member

Fcfc, that is a very strict criteria.

I doubt that there is any production boat that will match your needs.

I have seen recently some tests of interesting small seaworthy motorboats with some cruising capacity. There is one that complies with everything except beam. Your limit is 2.55M and this one has 2.7M. I am talking of the Nordstar 24 Patrol.

But I think that the 26 Patrol is a more interesting boat, and only has a 2.8 beam. I don’t see how it is possible to do more with a space of a 26ft motorboat.

This one, with a 350hp engine can go at 41 knots. They also propose the boat with a 200hp engine, and that would be more than enough, unless you want to piss off a lot of motorboaters.:D

If you are interested in more similar boats, I have information on some more, but neither of them has the beam you want.:(

http://www.nordstar.fi/englanti/ns24patrol.htm
    http://www.nauticapress.com/modules/articles/article.php?id=195

Attached Files:

11. Vega

Vega Senior Member

I think it was this one. It is Hungarian not German. This one is not as ugly as the MacGregor.

http://www.veleromarine.com/catalog.php?view=51

http://www.imexus.hu/

There is also a French one (almost finished) :p

Attached Files:

• img.jpg
      img.jpg
      File size:
      46 KB
      Views:
    • imgd.jpg
      imgd.jpg
      File size:
      54.6 KB
      Views:
    • imgs.jpg
      imgs.jpg
      File size:
      57.7 KB
      Views:
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.