Power choice Poll

Discussion in 'Option One' started by duluthboats, Jun 25, 2002.

?

Power choice

Poll closed Jul 2, 2002.
  1. Diesel Inboard

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. Diesel Sterndrive with or without jackshaft

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Diesel Surface Drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Diesel Water Jet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Petrol Inboard

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  6. Petrol Sterndrive with or without jackshaft

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Petrol Surface Drive

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Petrol Water Jet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Outboard

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

It's time. :D

This poll is over 7 days from now.

Gary

2. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

We forgot one Gary - water jet

Oh - and Trouty's plasmoidal neutron drive thingy!!

3. duluthboats

If othes have a choice they would prefer, just post a "write in". All votes will be counted.

Gary

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

What about surface drives?

5. Willallison

:( A little intrigued here.
    We've not had many suggest the use of a diesel inboard previously - so those of you who have voted for it.....please share your reasoning with us.......

6. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Fuel economy, Reliable, etc.

7. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

I voted for diesel inboard because surface drives were not an option in the poll. Even though I know outboards are lighter, cheaper, and easier to maintain, I don't like the look of outboards on the transom or the sound of outboards - it comes down to appearance and style for me rather than functionality and logic alone. Stern drives require too much maintenance for my taste - in my experience with them, there’s always something. I do like outboards because they tilt up, and thus if surface drives were on the table I would probably vote that way (except for the cost which might be too big a percentage of the overall budget.) Between inboard and outboard, I was very close to voting outboard but as I said I narrowly voted inboard. As far as diesel vs. gas, I would prefer the safer fuel and the more robust longer life engine.

8. Willallison

All valid points Jeff - but as the man with the POWER:cool: I think you should add both water jets and surface drives to the poll - with petrol / diesel alternatives.....

If you were going the inboard route, then the biggest problem I see with diesel is cost (remembering our 50K budget...)

9. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Any objections Gary?

And if so, why did you rule them out? I presume as Will said, cost?

10. Portager

Portager Senior Member

First I think O-1 should accommodate either diesel or gas. Without a diesel option I think O-1 would only appeal to a small niche market. Since diesel is the higher weight I reasoned that we should design to that. Then providing a gas option should be pretty easy.

The lack of a diesel option, ability to heat water and high center of gravity are my main issue with outboards.

I choose inboard over stern drive because of maintenance concerns with the stern drive and the ability to locate the inboard engine at or closer to the CG.

Surface drive would have been my first choice if it were included and if enough other people voted for it. I don't want to waste my only vote on a write-in. The reason I favor the surface drive is they provide better corrosion resistance than stern drives and outboards, best performance and they are futuristic as opposed to outboards which look primitive in plain view.

I wish those who choose outboard would explain their reasoning.

Cheers;
    Mike Schooley

11. Willallison

Fair point, so even though I've listed them before, here are the reasons I voted outboard.

1. Lightweight / high power output.

2. Compact. With your engine hanging off the back, you suddenly have a great deal of storage space that would otherwise be taken up with motor, gearbox etc. With an inboard on a boat the size of O-1 you can either raise the sole to the point where you have a flat foor (raising the CG and making the boat taller overall, so it is less easily stowed and towed) or you can fill the most useful space of the boat with an engine box. Neither appeal.

3. Trimmable. That, along with no shaft, skeg, rudder means that you greatly improve efficiency and can alter trim as necessary. You can also raise an outboard completely clear of the water, no corrosion problems. Loading and unloading from a trailer is infinitely easier, you don't have to float the boat off. The trailer can be lower to the ground as there's no underwater running gear to worry about. Beaching or exploring shallow waters is infinitely safer and in the event that a prop is damaged, the motor can be tilted and a spare prop installed on the spot.

4. Economical. New generation, 4-stroke or direct injection 2-stroke outboards at the very least match the alternatives in the only area that really matters - mpg, and they are way ahead of conventional shaftdrives at anything above displacement speeds. On a big, heavy boat that may not be the case, but O-1 is neither.

5. Ease of installation and servicing. O-1 is supposed to be home-buildable. Nothing is simpler to install than an outboard. Ancillary systems are virtually non existent.

6. I don't see the hot water system as a problem. A 240 or 120 volt immersion style heater can be run via an inverter when the engine is running. Other than gas (lpg etc) there are no alternatives for inboards that I'm aware of which don't require the engine to be run (whilst away from shore power) in order to heat water.

7. Jo Blo could build O-1 and power it with an older 50 hp (or similar) outboard. This would get him out on the water. As his budget allowed, he could upgrade to something bigger and/or newer - tailoring the performance to his needs. Rarel;y can you do this with an inboard without major structural changes.

8. Sound levels are not much of an issue. 4-strokes are so quiet, I know of at least two occasions when owners have pushed the throttle forward not reaslising the motor was running! And with a little bit of ingenuity, I believe we can insulate / supress much of the noise anyway.

That's just a short list - I'm sure with a little thought, I could come up with a number of other reasons. Give Tom the soapbox - I'm sure he'll add a few more.....
    I tried desparately to be persuaded by the surface drive concept (and still possibly could be) but as yet I haven't had my concerns over their versatility allayed. Perhaps if the inboard is chosen over the outboard, then we should investigate the drive alternatives further (shaft, sterndrive, surface drive, jet)

12. duluthboats

LOL!!!
    Now what havvvve I done. I plead ignorance. I thought a surface drive is an inboard. I spaced out jet drive. So by all means Jeff please make the requested changes. :cool:
    Gary

13. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

The slow boat Guy

I voted for the diesel inboard for the economy of the boat. In operation I mean. I know Volvo makes a few little diesels that should be reasonable. Allthough the love engine for the little trawler i posted before is a Lister Petter Alpha 55T You can get it at 45hp N/A with 4 cylinders she should run smooth and quite
    installed height is just under 24" Antway sorry for the ramble just thinking out loud. 8

14. Willallison

8, you seem to have overlooked our performance requirements.
    Top speed 28 knots etc - you won't get that out of a 45hp anything!

15. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

Sorry

Jumped back into the thick of things without doing my homework
    sorry for the confusion! I will keep my fingers shut till i get back on track. Is there a quick link as to where we are at this exact moment to avoid confusion? A summation? 8

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.