Option One - speed range revisited

Discussion in 'Option One' started by Willallison, May 9, 2002.

?

Do we need to re-assess Option One's speed range

Poll closed May 16, 2002.
  1. Yes - needs re-assessing

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. No - leave it as it is - if it needs changing, we can look at it again later

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

There seems to be some fairly strongly held opposing views in regards to Option One's cruise speed. Perhaps the simplest way to resolve the issue would be to have a poll on whether we need to re-assess Option One's designed speed range.
    But don't just vote - tell us how you voted & why:

2. Portager

Portager Senior Member

So far its a land slide in my favor! Time to close the poll!!

I think the max speed drives the cost into the unaffordable range and the range towards inadequate.

I would rather put the cost into better accommodations and go further/slower.

One approach might be to do a budget allocation (I'm turning into a systems engineer). Determine the percentage of the cost that should be allocated to the hull, to each major subsystem and to equipment. Then the performance will be an output of the budget process. Whatcha think?

Cheers;
    Mike Schooley

3. trouty

trouty Guest

Sounds like a committee designed horse to me!

You know what happened when a committee designed the horse?...we got a camel! ;o)

Speed is a funny thing...when the conditns are rough, you can't use it.

When the conditions are lovelly - you curse the fact you haven't got more top end!

So, with a boat that CAN go fast but doesnt necessarily have to go fats - it becomes a choice - with a boat thats restricted in speed - you have no choice.

Who in this world - unless they are retired and cruising the world waiting to die, have an excess of time on their hands these days?

Speed - we have new technologies, lighter materials, lighter engnes - cmplete with ceramic components and so on, all designed for fuel efficiency - more output pwer and less weight -to achieve what?...more speed!

Why design something without speed?..

I mean - i have no shortage of timber, and all the room and machinery to work said timber into any boat I desire...so why not build another Endeavor replica - just this time scaled to 24ft!

Coz it's too damned slow to be able to go run fishing tours outta is why!

The worlds moved on from when time wasn't a precious commodity to most of the worlds inhabitants...

Any boat to be sold - must have the appeal of speed - to make trips to greta places viable from a time perspective IMHO.

If not designed for speed - and just slow cruising - wouldn't you build a yacht?...

Isn't sailig an expensive way to go nowhere fast, and look cool doing it?

I vote fast! :D

Try outrunning the pirates up here in indonesian waters, or in the Bahama's at 12 knots - you better have a few uzzis, ad glocks in the cabin if you want to cruise the words oceans unmolested in todays world at a leasurely pace.

Heck - the indo refugees could probably outrun what we've been playin with in their old timber scows!, they sure give our navy patrol boats a run for their money..

I say - if you poke your head over the windscreen for fresh air - your hairline should receed two inches or you aint going fast enough!

This is what should happen when you drop the hammer on our cruiser!

Cheers! :cool:

Attached Files:

4. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Trouty, that is a moving speach!! I like it. :)

5. Portager

Portager Senior Member

Boat designs

There are many boat designs and each design has its advantages and benefits. Your choice depends on your application, intended use and operating conditions. A high speed boat can't do long range ocean voyages, which is why Trawlers exist. They also exist for the comfort and security they provide when the seas get rough.

You boat has a work application where time is money. My application is for vacation. I ride high speed boats as part of my job and on vacation I want to slow down and go further.

My issue is I don't think the current maximum speed requirement is compatible with the rest of the requirements. Particularly the cost goal when combined with accommodations requirements.

I'll be traveling for the next two weeks (unfortunately not by boat) so my participation will be limited. I'll support what ever the committee decides.

Cheers;
    Mike Schooley

6. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

To summarize I think the speed should be left alone at least for one of the models. So lets all be strong wee must move on!

7. Polarity

Polarity Senior Member

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Sounds reasonable to me. I thought about the point which was made about smaller and larger outboards affecting the balance, but that's what production boats do anyway (for example you often see the same hull with either single or dual outboards) so I don't think the weight difference and one not being the optimal balance will be a huge problem.

9. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Well, only one day to go as far as this poll is concerned - so if you have anything to add, now's the time to do it.

For my two cents worth, I'm yet to be convinced that we have reached the point where re-visiting the speed profile is necessary. We may come to that point further down the track - that's the whole point of the exercise. But if we give up now, we'll simply go back to creating something which has already been done a multitude of times. I'd rather try to create something new.

10. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

My vote was for reassess. Only because during the poll to pick the speed we had very little real debate. I'm not sure if I'll change my mind, but it would be nice to hear from many of you who are sitting on the side lines. ;) Remember it's a learning exercise. I plan to be here for BD-25. :D
    Gary

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.