Where is this?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wynand N, Apr 22, 2007.

1. apex1

apex1 Guest

These antenna´s are markers!

There is a dangerous entrance at Milford Haven. (have not been in there)

ahh

the blockhouse..

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

My statements were ‘‘much closer than a range of 230 NM’’ (post #4963), and ‘‘It is in the mouth of an estuary* so it's very well possible that you didn't go in there while passing, but seeing our other conversations I think you've been close’’ (post #4968). What is the closest you ever were without having it in sight..?

Here is a nice blog, with beautiful pictures, from a guy who paddled down the coast there.....

Here info about: West Blockhouse - West Block House Point Beacons - Watwick Point Beacon from post #4962.

Not much about the history in these links so Google for that...

The Milford Haven Waterway is a Ria, see post #4968.

Who's next, Wardd or Richard..??

Good Luck!
    Angel

3. Angélique

I looked at that Wardd. Google Maps (and Google Earth also I guess) don't give the name but it's easy to find. It's RAF Dale an abandoned WW II airfield at 51°43′3.33″N 5°11′38.56″W which is now privately owned by a local farmer. To far from the beacons to serve as approach lights I think, and not one of the airstrips is sufficient in line with those beacons which were built in 1957.

Cheers,
    Angel

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

I remember Linney Head, the next Lighthouse south of St Annes Head, so I was pretty close. But due to the many rocks and islets in that region we were not too close under land anyway. And the "Blockhouse" must be out of sight when you pass St. Annes in a 2 miles distance.
    Milford Haven did not attract us to go in. Too much Petrol Industry.

Richard

5. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Milford Haven is quite an amazing piece of water - spectacular, with a huge variety of users:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tower structures are indeed, navigational beacons, the low mark of a pair of leading marks with Watwick Point (high mark.)

The West Blockhouse, paired with the now ruined East Blockhouse across the Haven (The East Blockhouse did, incidentally, host a Loran station)defended Milford Haven from the mid 19th century, and is now holiday accommodation run by the Landmark Trust.

They are an off shoot of the National Trust, set up as a way of conserving small buildings unsuitable for National Trust scale visiting, and they have a range of truly remarkable buildings you can stay in;

a tiny two person Chateau in Lincolnshire:
    [​IMG]

Fort Clonque in the Channel Islands:

[​IMG]

A Gothic dining temple at Stowe:

[​IMG]

A Pineapple!:

[​IMG]

I have stayed at the West Blockhouse for a long weekend a few years back. It was an amazing place - fabulously spectacular architecture, entered by a bridge over a moat, with superb views of the huge tankers edging their way in under the cliffs. And a bit eerie, in truth, though I count myself usually completely insusceptible to such things.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, the Landmark Trust properties have become, to my mind, extremely expensive to rent these days.

So... thanks for your persistence!

Over to you - Wardd? Richard?

6. wardd

wardd Senior Member

I didn't get it first

7. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

Well, Angel isn't allowed, as she set the previous one, but we know she can't resist joining in anyway :D

You were the first legitimate player to get the location element of the puzzle, and as the thread is 'Where is this?' I think you have as good a claim as any!

8. wardd

wardd Senior Member

ok, let me look for a place

9. wardd

wardd Senior Member

what is this?

what ship?

and where did it sink?

Attached Files:

10. Angélique

There is a big clue in the name you gave to the pic Wardd. Better remove it, rename it and put it back.

People have to recognize that component themselfs....

But, nice teaser..!!

Good Luck!
    Angel

11. apex1

apex1 Guest

Of course you did!

edited:

..............one shall not open a thread and wait for too long before replying....

12. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

It's ironic that the instrument in the photo should have the first bit to have been salvaged recently. It had already been made obsolete by the radar fitted to this vessel. We also think of the welding of ships being pioneered by the Liberty ships, but this vessel was welded in the early 30s. Throw into the mix the fact she was diesel and not steam powered and it was a truly innovative design.

13. wardd

wardd Senior Member

as a weapon it wasn't well thought out

seems this didn't last long

14. wardd

wardd Senior Member

I have a 80 cm base one made by wild

supposedly one of the best ever made

15. Angélique

Crag knows by knowledge I guess, I know this one the easy way which I don't like :(

But no one has given the answer yet and I saw the component's name is now out of the URL, so you can let it stay till it's solved. I'll stay out of it. Crag can give the answer or clues if he likes to do so.

After this one is solved I will post my PM to you here as 'how to (and not) info' for new participants of this thread.

Perhaps Tiny can take my place as there are not to many searchers at the moment...

Good Luck!
    Angel