What have you done this weekend...?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Wynand N, Jul 6, 2008.

1. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

Thnx Manie

Thnx Fanie. If I can figure out how to tap into the underground hydro without getting caught I might grow some medicinal herbs! :p

2. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

If the medicinal herbs float then it should be fine ;)

When do you start ?

3. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

Screw that, it's freakin awesome! Very clever use of the heat shrink there!

By the way, is that a BSD Daemon?

I got half the overhead up on the sailboat up (which only required two trips to Hardware Sales) and got the upper cockpit liners and the aft liner for the front hatch in on the kayak. Tomorrow I should be able to finish sealing the cockpit sides and get the front panel in on the forward hatch. It's nice to be working on things where you can actually see progress at the end of the day. Some of that cutting and fitting stuff can soak up hours with no visible results.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

"Freakin' awesome" fits better, I agree.

5. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

I've heard of BDSM but not a BSD Daemon yet...

Attached Files:

6. KnottyBuoyz

His name is "Beastie" (from BSD) We've soft of adopted him as our mascot.

1 person likes this.
  7. KnottyBuoyz

After the spring thaw. March probably.

8. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

In the beginning there was UNIX, and it was good.

And then in the holy city of Berkley there arose another, a child of UNIX who chose a different direction and it was called BSD and it too was good. The wise men of BSD created a symbol of their faith and it was called a daemon, and the daemon's name was Beastie, and Beastie wontedly carries a trident to symbolize a software daemon's forking of processes.

Then came the prophet who led us to a new understanding of UNIX, and his name was Linus and he brought forth a new dawn, and he called it LINUX, and it too was good. The prophet saw that it was good and he made it free to the world so that all may share in it's joy. Linux too had a symbol, and he was a penguin named Tux.

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

LOL cthippo

10. DianneB

DianneB Junior Member

I finished the installation of a 2 month project - a new helm for my 1966 Lone Star Cruise Master III with a major re-wiring of the boat. The installation was finished yesterday and fully tested today. Only some trim remains to be done.

[​IMG]

11. KnottyBuoyz

I know it's not the weekend but.... Now that the outside is pretty much finished I started on the inside. Put up the first section of Tyvek house wrap today.

[​IMG]

I used good old fashioned hockey stick tape to reinforce the staples. :cool:

The two layers of plastic will provide a thermal break if I decide to heat the shed in the winter with a propane heater. Probably not this winter but definitely next I will. The Tyvek is white so that should help with the lighting and get rid of some of the blue tint from the shrink wrap. That's about it for now. Standby...

1 person likes this.
  12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

When will you start holding services?

13. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

+rep for an awesome design and implementation!

I got the other half of the overhead up in the sailboat. Still need one more trip to Hardware Sales, but I think this will be the last for this stage of the project. The more time I spend on my back working on this thing the less enthusiastic I am about sleeping in it.

The kayak is proceeding in what seem like fits and starts. I got the cockpit sides lined , but now it's a matter of putting the polyurethane on and as cold as it is I can barely get one coat a day on. Also doing the fillet around the forward hatch which is another case of one layer per day.

I'm having the realization that when I do the 34 footer I'll have to do things a little differently. The perfection vs productivity balance is going to need to be tipped a bit more towards the latter if it's ever going to be done.

14. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

DianneB, my very first boat had a steering similar to that one ! Neat and classy.

Sharp as ever :D

Naughty, the thing is wrapped, do you relly need a ceiling there too :rolleyes:
    Just do the boat, I can't wait :D

15. wardd

wardd Senior Member

too aqua buddha?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.