BillyDoc
Senior Member
- Joined
- May 24, 2005
- Messages
- 420
- Reaction score
- 18
- Location
- Pensacola, Florida
Jimbo, the nature of science is such that many things are not directly observed but inferred from indirect evidence. Just about all of quantum mechanics fits that description. I don't believe anyone has seen a quark, for example, and the existence of the Higgs boson is still just a prediction (but not for long, I bet.)
In the present case, if I understand you correctly, you are saying that "since NOBODY has been able to demonstrate the existence of this supposed, fabled, mythical feedback" and by that I assume you to mean increased heat from CO2 buildup causing increased water vapor, thus more heat buildup, you have no basis for "believing" in this relationship. Is that correct?
If so, then I will not be able to demonstrate it any better, as it is actually implicit in the logic of the two theories I posted above, namely the theory implicit in the definition of vapor pressure (an equilibrium state caused by evaporation and re-absorption of the liquid into a gas), the Kinetic Molecular Theory, and the theory of differential absorption and reflection by wavelength of various molecules. I didn't mention the latter, but simply put, these molecules act like the glass in a window, high energy heat passes through, is absorbed by whatever it hits and re-emitted as low energy heat, which is reflected. So when you have the windows up in your car, the heat gets trapped.
If I accept that there is such a thing as vapor pressure, and it works as described, and I accept that the Kinetic Molecular theory is at least something like as described, and then further accept that the so-called Greenhouse gases behave basically like glass when transmitting light (an empirical question) then I think I MUST accept that I cannot increase water vapor pressure without first increasing temperature.
If you do NOT think that this is true, please explain why!
I know I am being difficult here, but I really have been forced on past occasions to try and explain to someone why some muddled theory is incorrect, and it just doesn't work. You either understand it, or you don't. Science is not just about collecting data, it's primarily about fitting data into a coherent logical structure. So let's stick to the basic data and it's logic here, before going off on some other tangent. If you can demonstrate logically where I went wrong with the above business with the vapor pressure, kinetic molecular theory, and differential molecular transmission then I'll have some crow for dinner and go read Spencer's paper. Fair enough? To keep it simple, let's restrict the exercise to a small container with a volume of one cubic meter, within which we have absolute control of the temperature. Pure water and ordinary air in the container in equal volumes. Given those constraints the question then becomes: "How could you increase the vapor pressure of the water without increasing the temperature?"
I'm trying to keep it simple here because adding in the complications of global circulation, etc. will just get us off on useless tangents.
Oh, and if you can't solve this riddle, is crow in your diet?
BillyDoc
In the present case, if I understand you correctly, you are saying that "since NOBODY has been able to demonstrate the existence of this supposed, fabled, mythical feedback" and by that I assume you to mean increased heat from CO2 buildup causing increased water vapor, thus more heat buildup, you have no basis for "believing" in this relationship. Is that correct?
If so, then I will not be able to demonstrate it any better, as it is actually implicit in the logic of the two theories I posted above, namely the theory implicit in the definition of vapor pressure (an equilibrium state caused by evaporation and re-absorption of the liquid into a gas), the Kinetic Molecular Theory, and the theory of differential absorption and reflection by wavelength of various molecules. I didn't mention the latter, but simply put, these molecules act like the glass in a window, high energy heat passes through, is absorbed by whatever it hits and re-emitted as low energy heat, which is reflected. So when you have the windows up in your car, the heat gets trapped.
If I accept that there is such a thing as vapor pressure, and it works as described, and I accept that the Kinetic Molecular theory is at least something like as described, and then further accept that the so-called Greenhouse gases behave basically like glass when transmitting light (an empirical question) then I think I MUST accept that I cannot increase water vapor pressure without first increasing temperature.
If you do NOT think that this is true, please explain why!
I know I am being difficult here, but I really have been forced on past occasions to try and explain to someone why some muddled theory is incorrect, and it just doesn't work. You either understand it, or you don't. Science is not just about collecting data, it's primarily about fitting data into a coherent logical structure. So let's stick to the basic data and it's logic here, before going off on some other tangent. If you can demonstrate logically where I went wrong with the above business with the vapor pressure, kinetic molecular theory, and differential molecular transmission then I'll have some crow for dinner and go read Spencer's paper. Fair enough? To keep it simple, let's restrict the exercise to a small container with a volume of one cubic meter, within which we have absolute control of the temperature. Pure water and ordinary air in the container in equal volumes. Given those constraints the question then becomes: "How could you increase the vapor pressure of the water without increasing the temperature?"
I'm trying to keep it simple here because adding in the complications of global circulation, etc. will just get us off on useless tangents.
Oh, and if you can't solve this riddle, is crow in your diet?
BillyDoc