Hull Damage - can fix?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by qbert, Mar 4, 2006.

1. qbert

qbert New Member

I've found a really nice boat for a good price, but it has a cracked hull. It's a decent crack with a puncture at the base of it. the owner ran into a big rock at speed and thats how it happened. is ths expensive to fix? Can it be fixed?
    has anyon ever had this problem or bought a boat with this problem and had it fixed? I'm a bit concerned.

I've got a bit of advice from www.watersportforums.com but no one can give me an indication of how expensive the fix will be. I really need someone who know about fixing hulls to help.

2. Deering

Deering Senior Member

Well... the responses you got at the watersports forum all asked you what the hull was made of. Why did you figure we wouldn't need to know the same thing?

Get some more info on the hull, take some photos, and maybe some dimensions. Is the hull fiberglass? Is it cored? Was there additional damage to stringers or other structural members? Is the damaged area accessible from both sides? Did the boat sink?

You might get a general idea of difficulty to repair from this forum, but your best bet is to have a local repair shop look at it and give you an estimate. You could use their repair estimate as a negotiating tool.

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

qbert

seriously what do you know about boats!?! If, as your post suggests you don't know much just remember these things can kill the unwary - death is not habit forming, you only get to do it once! Would suggest you go get some more information and training before taking the damn thing out of the box or your family could be very unhappy!

4. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

How do you know this? If you do not know what the problem is and how to fix it.

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Hey I got my old Porsche for a great price, $6,800.............and another $8,000 later had it running right.

Great price though.

6. safewalrus

Got you a bargain there Kach! ;)

7. kach22i

kach22i Architect

If I spent the $15,000 up front I would of had a $15,000 car, not a $9,500 car.

That's the moral of the story here; do as I tell you to do, not as I do.

Buy the best boat your money can buy, not the worst.

8. boltonprofiles

boltonprofiles Senior Member

Did the Porche have a crack in it, a decent crack with a puncture at the base.................:D

9. Wellydeckhand

Wellydeckhand Previous Member

The car is cheap but spare part and maintaince would kill boat lover out right........... and lack of remote dealer does effect on the resale value.....

10. safewalrus

Sarcasm Katch, Sarcasm!

11. kach22i

kach22i Architect

I was hoping so, had to make it clear enough for everyone though - just to be on the safe side.

12. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Hull damage - can fix ?

The real question is - do we really want someone who admits to owning a Porche as a member of this forum :confused: Dammit, we'll be accepting Harley owners next....:(

13. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Well, at least when the old Porsche leaks oil, it does not go into the water - not right away.:D

What do you have against air-cooled engines anyway?:p

14. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Nothing, Kach, nothing...as long as they are attached to a decent machine: BSA, Norton, Ariel, AJS, Triumph, Scott, or Brough etc etc a real motorcycle in fact....:D

15. tonydignity

tonydignity Junior Member

Fibreglass repair

One of the first jobs is to survey the wound in the skin ,If the boat hit a rock at speed,, look inside the hole to see if you can count the layup layers, if you can then it has delaminated and water will have got in between the layers.Grind away at a chamfered angle inside till you can see solid .
    Now grind off the wax coat inside,the hull a good area back to key the new material.
    I suggest epoxy resin to lay up over the hole use close cell foam to composite for strength,finally install a scantling every foot across the damage area.
    To mould against use thin hardboard properly treated with Mould release,and rivited on the outside to form the original shape.This has worked for me