Global Warming? are humans to blame?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by hansp77, Sep 11, 2006.

?

Do you believe

1. Global Warming is occuring as a direct result of Human Activity.

106 vote(s)
    51.7%
  2. IF Gloabal Warming is occurring it is as a result of Non-Human or Natural Processes.

99 vote(s)
    48.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Everything Ive read about unexploited reserves in the US indicates that they are minor compared to worldwide demand.

oil companies sell to the highest bidder. Pushing to harvest these unexploited resources is a political.. make jobs... ploy and will do nothing to improve energy security.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It may not help Spain but it would help U.S..

3. Boston

Boston Previous Member

religion again, political again, semantics again, social economical again, same old same old misrepresentation of the scientific process but not a shred of peer reviewed science to back it up.

Bamby, can you document multiple instances where outcome based grants have been awarded, to environmental research projects. Remember, all grants propose a study to answer some unknown and generally not specifically to confirm a previous finding, thats almost always up to the original researcher. I'd bet not or I wouldn't ask. The grant process is based on a research proposal. The research hasn't taken place yet so its kinda hard to know what the outcome might be. The grant is based on several things, one is generally what university your involved with, independent grants are more difficult to get. Another might be the quality of your last work in a given field, did you get published, did you receive citation, was there any call for a retraction for some reason. All play a role in the process.

Whats interesting is that up at CU they do a lot of research for industry, Those grants are not science grants and are not handed out under the same stringent criteria as a science grant is. Your confusing the two types of grants just as your confusing the scientific process with the political one again.

cheers
    B

4. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Hopeless, from what I can gather Gods chosen just weren't "created" with a sense of humor like the rest of us.

[​IMG]

This is and was intended as a moment of humor to lighten the conversation. Why the religious left must be so sensitive is beyond me. One would think a little levity would go a long way then I don't hang out much with the Jebus crowd. Thats not an insult, its just what it is.

Hoyt, once again I'm not going to respond in kind, I do think it interesting that your religion leads you to a place of vindictive reaction rather to a moment of accepting friendly humor. Kinda solidifies my thoughts on Christianity when its the non christian turning the other cheek and the christian vindictively abusing the points system simply because we exorcise the same right to declare or deny a particular belief system. Very telling indeed and something tells me that I'm not the only one noticing this.

5. hoytedow

Have a dice nay.

6. Bamby

Bamby Junior Member

Bla, bla, bla, you still haven't said anything!!! Quote a bunch of so called scientific data that's hen picked to happen to agree with "your view" and you call that science!! That's religion...

OK so we accept your so-called science now what's the solution!! Go back to our caves and wigwams and curl up to the squaw and attempt to stay warm! That would lead to a population explosion causing even more global problems!

7. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Many native americans referred to your god as the God of the dead, because to them it seemed like he wanted everything dead, all the people and all the animals. I'd have to ask whats changed, Your blind insistence that we can go ahead and wreck the planet, driving it into another major if not the most catastrophic extinction event, simply because your god says its ok, seems a bit like imposing the consequences of your religious morals on the rest of us.

Kinda another example of why I don't believe in religion, the actions of the religious are not actions I care to emulate.

8. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Can you document multiple instances where peer reviewed work was approved or disapproved based on the subject of the study. Rather than the accuracy of the study. Again I'd bet not or I wouldn't be asking.

And again with the religion, sorry but I'm not a religious kinda guy. Spiritual maybe but organized religion just seems like it lends itself to angry vindictive people who aren't willing to make the alterations in there lives necessary for us all to live together peacefully.

How about if I start another thread concerning possible solutions to the climate shift crisis and then maybe you will have an appropriate forum to discuss the social and political ramifications of inaction

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/op...-socio-economic-effects-40976.html#post509584

9. hoytedow

What makes me angry is people trying to steal my rights and turn me into a serf.

10. Boston

Boston Previous Member

um

ya

we were talking about a moment of humor that was taken entirely the wrong way, resulting in a rather childish reaction on your part Hoyt. Yup you've got a right to act childishly. Soooooo where in all that was someone trying to turn you into a serfer dude

11. hoytedow

Serfer dude-nice play on words. I am just giving my opinion. That is what a forum is. If my opinion differs from yours, you throw childish and angry into the discussion. Don't pop a vein there young fellow. In 100 years absolutely none of this will matter. I will be dead of old age and you will probably drink yourself to death. By the way, that bourbon ball recipe I posted today is very good. Have one of your concubines make you a batch. Roll them ping-pong to golf ball size. I always make mine tennis ball size 'cause I'm used to having big balls.

12. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Always a kind word eh. How does the song go, "And they'll know we are ? by our love".

But that does remind me, we are having a renaissance party tonight and I gotta call the girls.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They like balls as well, so I guess maybe if you want to put on your best party dress you could come :p:p:p, as long as you leave the religion outside that is.

13. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Boston,
    I simply love folks like you. Doom sayers! Ah! You preserve the world for me and my descendants and my friends, and colleagues, and all the wonderfull folks I ain't yet met.
    This forumn ain't about religion, but about boats. So, please the rest of you forgive me for references to God. It's simply hard to ignore Him.
    God won't let a group of Doom sayers stand aside on judgement day and claim "I told you the end was *day*month*year!". The end is coming like a thief in the night, and NO MAN knows when. God will destroy the world when He is ready. So. It ain't happening when and how Boston says. I'm relieved to hear "The end is near!" cause I'm sure God would postpone just to deny the Doom sayer the satisfaction of having predicted. We're all safe folks! Thanks to Boston.

I didn't debate science with you Boston, because I don't trust your data, and you won't accept any other. I'm not fighting where you choose. Sun Tzu said that was foolish.

Here are the facts on scientists dissenting from Global Warming.
    http://www.google.com/search?source...445MX445&q=climate scientists dissent UN list

If you want to believe you won our debate, then fine. Believe what you will. You will believe what you want whether or not I acknowledge your right to do so.

I won't post on this topic anymore. Boston, yours will be the last word.

14. Boston

Boston Previous Member

Well I appreciate the love Yobar its a far cry better version of christianity than some others I've seen. But there is still that one sticky little issue of imposing ones religious beliefs on others. By passing off a very tangible threat because a very intangible mythos says its OK to, your essentially refusing to participate in any form of solution. Which adversely effect us all.

Again seems pretty selfish to a lot more people than just me.

And I'm curious about how it is you don't believe in something you don't know anything about. Clearly you didn't read the article I presented so how is it you know you don't agree with it.

By refusing to discuss the science ( lets get real there is no debate ) what your really admitting is that you either don't know the science or dont care to know the science. Either way the science exists whether you acknowledge it or not and its very conclusive.

Global warming is occurring and its caused by the burning of fossil fuels

15. Bamby

Bamby Junior Member

Looks as if I've been dismissed from this thread and sent to my corner :D .
    Mas has pretty well dismissed me from his thread too. :confused: Oh well I guess this place is setting up to be a blog site where everyone has their own blog page to shout to the world "their own personal opinion" and deny anyone else access who may offer any contradiction them..:p

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.