what is good basic (free or $5) Andriod GPS tracker with HISTORY feature?

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Squidly-Diddly, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Squidly-Diddly

Squidly-Diddly Senior Member

I don't need to track in real time so much, since I'd only be tracking myself, but I'd like to have a basic history of locations.

Don't need "speed" feature per se. 5 minute locations would be good enough.

Be OK if it works off cell phone towers instead of GPS.

Bonus if it works on old cell phones without current service.

2. John Perry

John Perry Senior Member

If you have a Google account I think I am right in saying that all your movements while you have your phone with you, assuming that it is at least occasionally switched on, are recorded by Google and you can get access to that information by logging onto your Google account. You can turn off this feature but I think I am correct to say that its turned on by default, many people may not realise that.

I guess there will be android apps that will do what you want, indeed I have a running oriented app that does it, but a marine oriented app may well be better for you if you can find one. Being keen on running I have tried a few of the apps that monitor running performance but I found that most of them were overloaded with features I dont want. A simple free running app that I do use is called Running Distance Tracker from a company Fitness22 Ltd. Although intended for runners, if you cant find anything better that should work to make a history of your sailing passages. It gives you a speed/distance readout and records your track which you can then view superimposed on google maps. But make sure you download the basic distance tracker, not one of the many other fitness apps produced by this company.

3. Vantage475T

Vantage475T Adventure Trimarans

GeoTracker on android is free and we use it to track our courses and speeds etc. Data can be exported in various formats easily.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.