underwater fishing light idea

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by sdowney717, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Don H

Don H Junior Member

We have supplied powersupplies for a lighting company that was installing in boats. They tell me blue is the best colour for attracting fish but i am not sure how well it works.
    I am pretty sure i wouldnt be dropping a jar with a 120vac bulb in it over the side and dangling my toes with a fishing rod. You have better faith in ground fault indicators than i do :eek: :)

Thanks Don

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

For your own safety install 12 volt LEDs.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

If you do some googling you will find led underwater lights. Not expensive they are used by southern lobster fisherman. Google underwater light lobster.

4. sideshow

sideshow Junior Member

White and green are the only colors good for attracting fish inshore. I do a lot of dock light fishing. I only fish those two types of lights.

Now offshore blue is best .

5. Nate57

Nate57 Junior Member

Color depends on your particular target species. In squid fishing (in So Cal US) for instance we often add green light specifically to deter finfish. LED's offer at least twice the bang for the watt. Many guys in squid attach a 1000w/120v metal halide bulb and socket to a long PVC pipe, 5200 the crap out of it and so long as you always immerse it before turning it on it works fine.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.