Turbines and electrical propulsion for a schooner

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by james.smith, Mar 19, 2016.

1. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

All of the above is true, but the OP like electrics, and this is a basic working solution. I had once a Mercedes, which is known as a solid good product. It let me down in the first 2000km while in a game reserve.
    Not the best place to have the window mechanism packing up, while lots of monkey's are around. Morel of the story, everything can break done. Although an electric motor with only 2 bearings is hardly a product what easily break down. It is the controller what needs to be properly tested. The charger is not an issue, as it is not a first line product. Not to forget he should have 4 systems. The wind charger? The probability that all 4 will pack up simultaneously is very remote. One diesel, Mmmmm, with a few hundred moving parts?. Bert

2. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

True, not always easy today. Bert

3. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

This ship has been sailing for years without engines. The OP just has to make sure, that he has good weather monitor systems on board, so that he early enough can take diversion or action. What I could read between the lines, is that the OP is not sure about his own capabilities and therefore want something to fall back on, special entering harbours. Those 4 electric engines will do the job. If he lends up in a very bad storm, I don't think a diesel will help him either nor electrics. The rule is, better prevention then curing, but nobody in the world can prevent for every mishap happening on a journey. Bert