radio and depth finder

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by FreedomWon, Jan 24, 2015.

1. FreedomWon

FreedomWon New Member

I notice that when I key up my radio my sonar will show bold solid vertical lines on it. When I let go of the mic it stops. What is causing this?

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Your radio wiring and antenna lead might be to close to the transducer lead.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It is caused by radio interference. There may be a bad shield somewhere. For example, a damaged coax wire or a faulty ground.

4. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Your radio shouts with 25 Watts RF power while your depth finder listens to milliwatts reflected from the seabed. Both signals are conveyed by coaxial cables that shield the signals from the outside world.
    They can only do that when the coax shield is properly grounded. My guess is that the antenna cable makes no contact with the plug or the radio itself has a poor ground lead.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.