OMC control box - convert push throttle to pull?

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by jdmsijdm, Oct 19, 2009.

1. jdmsijdm

jdmsijdm Junior Member

Anyone know if this is possible? My mid-80's OMC control box PUSHES the throttle cable out, but the yamaha i need it to control needs the throttle to be PULLED. Ive seen where some yamaha control boxes have been modified to do this, both ways actually. Just wondered if anyone has done this or heard of this being done with an OMC box. Ive searched around for a while and talked to a few people with mixed results. I havent cracked open the box yet but i plan to soon.

2. TerryKing

TerryKing On The Water SOON

Not sure about this specific setup, but when I built my last inboard, I found I could mount the controls and attach the cables so the cables exited the control head either in the fore or aft direction, and that controlled the "push or pull" of cable VS handles.

Fortunately, both my throttle and transmission needed the same direction...

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Attach the sleeve to the opposite side of the lever, that's all.

4. jdmsijdm

jdmsijdm Junior Member

Huh? This is the control box I have:
    [​IMG]

5. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

I drilled the lever in my old Crysler control box to give the push or pull I wanted and the right travel ...have used it on a johnson Briggs and stratton and a yamaha without problem ...used old mercury cables from the boat yard scrap bin tooo I have seperate gear and throttle levers which makes it easier.

6. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Your picture is too small for my old eyes, so I cannot read the part numbers.
    It is like this:
    The sleeve is held and the wire is moved, so it is pushed out. If you hold the wire and move the sleeve in the same direction, the wire is pulled in.
    Of course there are some minor modifications required.

7. jdmsijdm

jdmsijdm Junior Member

After i get it taken apart ill let you guys know the prognosis.. I stripped out one screw after the other two came out without a hitch and had to stop there for now. Pist, you helped out on my other thread, i got it wired up and running fine, then ran into this problem. Where are all the haters that said i couldnt do it because i dont know anything about electronics, etc etc.. Ill update that thread when i get this problem tackled..

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.