New sending unit for fuel gauge

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by p.huwa@worldnet, Aug 12, 2007.

1. p.huwa@worldnet

p.huwa@worldnet New Member

I installed a new sending unit in the gas tank and while doing this I knicked the insulation off of a little bit of the wire. I put electrical tape on it. Will this cause me a problem, (short out, spark, ignite gas etc.) Thanks

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

No you will not blow up. You will get a fluctuating reading if the wire did short to the tank,--thats all.

Try it,-- short the wire to the tank with ign on, the guage will go to full, or empty depending on what guages you have.

Thats how you confirm a failure of the sender,-- or guage.

3. p.huwa@worldnet

p.huwa@worldnet New Member

Thanks, that is a big relief of my mind. I was leaving it open until I heard the verdict, for it is a big chore to get to the sending unit. After I discoverd the insulation problem I taped it up and installed it and the gas gauge reads a quarter of a tank, about what I have in the tank. It did read full when it was shorted out. Thanks again.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Your welcome 'P' enjoy your boating.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.