L.E.D. vs standard and halogen

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by dragonjbynight, Apr 18, 2008.

1. dragonjbynight

dragonjbynight Senior Member

Just curious as to everyones opinion of L.E.D. lighting as compared to standard bulbs. Burn out time, brightness and seaworthiness.

I know I prefer L.E.D. for the low amount of voltage they consume and the lasting battery power, but at the same time water tends to "eat" the light. At the same time, any reflective surface lights up brightly at incredible distances.

Let me know what you think!

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

LED's easily out perform all other lighting devices, in every way that we measure things. Initial costs is a draw back, but in the long run, they pay for themselves, which other systems can't in their average life span.

3. nero

nero Senior Member

cold cathod tubes

One quality of LED's are they are directional (beam lights).

For interior lighting, I read somewhere that cold cathod tubes are more efficient in lumens per watt than a LED light.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-cold-cathode-light.htm

There are also flat light pannels coming out ... OLED. These are very interesting.

4. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

I think you are talking halogen, vs, fluoro or incandescent?
    i would be wary of halogen I fitted them, 40 in last boat,and they seem very intolerent of high charge volts
    For instance, system was 24vdc, which charges at over 28, I got many failures and it was expensive I tried finding 36 volt bulbs but hard to find and too dim when batt voltage is dropping But then again this is Australia, everything is very costly, maybe in USA and Eu it's not as bad

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Just found a website for led & other low energy lighting http://www.taylorbrite.com/

Who was it looking for independent lights for their boat (integral battery) in the event of battery failure? ?

6. dragonjbynight

dragonjbynight Senior Member

I believe it was willallison..

7. KnottyBuoyz

KnottyBuoyz Provocateur & Raconteur

I've been slowly changing out all the incandescent bulbs for LED's on our 25' express. With limited battery capacity to run all the ammenities I've found the old incandescents were too power hungry. I found some realatively inespensive LED's from Australia and hooked them up last week. Boat isn't in the water yet so we haven't had a chance to see what affect they've had on battery drain but I imagine it'll be minimal. I apologize for the poor picture quality but if I were to hazard a guess the LED's are 10X brighter than the 1157's that were in the nav and anchor light before.

[​IMG]

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.