I would like AC power inside my cruiser

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by the brain, Jan 14, 2017.

1. the brain

the brain Senior Member

I'm rerouting my hydrolic steering tubes from the back of sphaslwell to the side of SW.

when I do this it will free up some space for a small port side dive platform made of marine plywood.

this will assist in loading and unloading serve as a catch platform when diving or snokelling.

think this yeti looks kindof good for powering the LT. and interia cabin lights. and the solar panel
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/goal...780-C7D24F532D28&cm_sp=Onsite-Recs-_-MB-_-PDP

yeti generater
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/goal-zero--yeti-150-solar-generator--15002504?recordNum=1

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

What do you plan for those items to do?

3. the brain

the brain Senior Member

I think the yeti is a trickle type charger to replenish run down batterys.

and the solar panel is how it gets it's energy.

correct?

4. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Yes, but it tops out at 2 amps, which means unless you have a week or two to recharge an even partially discharged battery it's of little value.

Those 2 amps are at high noon on a sunny day, and only if the panel is pointed right at the sun, the rest of the time it puts out less, and only during the daytime.

So you're putting out close to $500 for not much value for your needs.

You need a bigger panel that puts out more amps if you plan to use much power at all. Just buying a bigger battery would probably be a better bet for a trip of just a night or two.

5. Ike

Ike Senior Member

In my career with the USCG Office of Boating Safety i was aware of a number of explosions of propane. Fortunately there are only a few each year. If installed correctly and maintained and monitored they are safe. But you do need gas detectors. in my motorhome which uses propane for heating, cooking and hotwater I have a gas detector and a sniffer that I can use to check for leaks, as well as the old reliable soap solution. (plus that my wife has a very sensitive nose, thank God)

I do not know anyone who uses methane but i know of some boats that had CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) systems. CNG is lighter than air and doesn't collect in the bilge like propane. Unfortunately CNG is a lot more expensive than LNG and harder to find. However it is being used in a lot of vehicles.

Anyway the secret to installing a safe propane system is to put the tanks in a vented or partially open locker on deck or on the stern. Use as few fitting as possible. That is where the leaks are. So keep them to a minimum. Keep electrical lines and equipment as far away as possible and use ignition protected equipment and circuit breakers. (eliminates ignition sources) Check the system regularly for leaks. ABYC has a standard for propane systems. Get a copy ad follow it to the letter.

6. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

In free countries acetylene is the has of choice as it is lighter than air.

Lamps, cook stoves , refrigeration, water heaters and cabin heaters all can work of the gas.

Sadly in the USA a license is required to purchase any.

Yes the big tanks are heavy , but smaller tanks can be had.

For the OP , get the Honda and enjoy.

There are no gas blenders for margaritas!.

7. slow fred

slow fred Junior Member

Fast Fred, Check item 222382441553 for a gas powered blender on e-bay

8. kingmaster

kingmaster Previous Member

insted of building one , I think plenty of ready to use circuits are available in online stores, which can convert 120 v to AC mains. make sure they match up with the frequency of operation(50 hz,60 hz)

9. the brain

the brain Senior Member

10. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Smart move giving up the fryer. I've never used a conventional Coleman stove on a boat. The liquid fuel would be a concern as would the fact that you'd have two tanks. The can of fuel and the tank on the stove. You could store the fuel can outside the boat but the fuel tank on the stove could be an issue. In addition you have the issue of transferring fluids.

I have two ways to cook onboard. They both use propane cylinders. The Zodi doubles as a water heater and works much better than I expected. I cook on the Zodi much more than with the Coleman. I'll post links below.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-...ategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=SSvnCgnFrt6q60fQXQH97E

https://www.amazon.com/ZODI-Outback-Gear-Extreme-Shower/dp/B000RYWQP6

As for the trickle charger a 50 watt solar charger is putting out 4 amps at a maximum. But as a practical matter much less. The sun isn't always shining. I don't use solar but again I'll point you towards Nigel Calder's book that I mentioned earlier. For about $35.00 it will provide you with all the information you need. Then.....you'll be able to answer that question for yourself!

Regards,

MIA

11. the brain

the brain Senior Member

very nice shower I like it a lot it. I have a 5 gallon camping type shower in a black bag where the sun heats the water works on the hardtop roof fine.

I decided to have a generater in addition to a deep cycle house battery which is what I plan to power interia light/am/fm radio/Ipad audio/lap top/GPS/fishfinder/ship shore radio ect can I use the 2K watt Honda genrater to replenhish the house batterys?

how long doe's it take to heat up a tank of water?

do you use it as a stove?

good news I'm glad I keep my old Gorge forman grill it will grill two good sized fillets and it requires only 760 watts to orerate (preheat is 4 minutes cook time is 5minutes that's a total of grill being on for approshemently 10 minutes) much less than the fry Daddys 1200watts almost half.

the bad is I can't cook w/ olive oil on the grill I can spray the grill surface, plus this older GF grill's cook surface doesn't separate from the heating element.

I attach a image of some 120V AC devices this stuff was being powered w/ a Honda generater curious what the device in the upper right is maybe a space heater?

Attached Files:

12. Scot McPherson

Scot McPherson Senior Member

13. the brain

the brain Senior Member

what do you think about using gaoline as a cooking fuel like the coleman camp stove?

what do you think the device in the upper right of the image I post maybe a space heater? what else could it be?

14. the brain

the brain Senior Member

I just pulled the trigger on a Yamaha 2.5 HP generater inverter type. 2K watts

plan to fab into the rear wall on boat and fab into the rear door of tow vehical. so it will have dual uses.

15. the brain

the brain Senior Member

fabbing generater into rear wall basicalley a box outside the cabin that the gen. slides down into there will be a hole in wall so I can acess the gens panel and start cord.

OK what do you Guy's think of the generater being close to the unairtight door I made?

I would like to have the gen. kindof stowed and usable when it's onboard meaning I would be fabbing a container where ever I decide to mount/use the gen.
    option
    roof mount
    rear swim deck
    rear transom cap
    rear inside bench seat/cover.

this container will be a box w/ hinged lid side holes for exhaust/intake.

roof mount would involve fabbing a weather proof box.

either box will need a layer of insulataion to reduce the nosie output.

easiest method of using gen onboard would be strapping it down to the rear bench seat or rear swim plateform, installing a premament power panel inside cabin at dinnete.

STB

STB

Attached Files: