Electric fish

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by Frosty, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I never noticed it before,--well never put 2 and 2 together. A woman walking past my boat the other day said that always had lovely fish under my boat. I thought about this and she is right. My boat is and always has been surounded with fish.

Although this may be very nice I am now worried that they are attracted because of leaking currents from the stern end. I have no other attractions such as kitchen outlets there.

I use prop anodes at approx 1 per 10 months on a 21/2 inch shaft, I consider this normal, wouldnt you?

Ive read about fish being put off by stray currents but not attracted.

2. masalai

masalai masalai

Load it up with a cattle prod/electric cattle fence charge for stunned fish dinner.

3. lazeyjack

lazeyjack Guest

Certain types fish most especially hammerheads hunt by electric impulse

But maybe your boat has a certain growth. which fish are attrected to
    For sure they are not getting a charge from your boat Frosty ole bean
    there are ships , say welding , which are passing 100,s ampseres
    thsi whole thing bout electricity and electrolysis is very misunderstood, despite there being rheEms of stuff written abt it
    My advise, tuck up in bed with NICE aSIAN GAL AND LISTEN TO THE NOISES COMING FROM THE SEABED

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Well these are definately not hammerheads, actually they are 'Archer fish ' those black and white things that squirt insects from off a twig. They are very curious and will squirt at your leg sometimes when working close to the waters edge. The missus eats em , easy to catch on bread.

But why my boat? do they like being caught and made into fish curry.

They are there for a reason and I cant fathom why.

Ive no growth and am freshly antifouled, they dont nibble at the boat just happily swimming around it.

Something fishy going on here!!!!

5. masalai

masalai masalai

Don't hang it out for a pis, it may get shot off.

6. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

Too small a target....:D

7. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Different sea, different fish, but the same phenomenon. Five or six fairly large fish were around and under my boat whenever I looked. Because the boat had technical problems I left it at the pier for many weeks and made only a few short trips. I assumed that the fish got used to the presence of the boat and liked the shadow.
    Don't know the name, but local fishermen said that these fish are almost impossible to catch with bait because they distrust anything new...

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Ok, Frosty, it's quite logical why the fish are hanging around your boat. They feel safe since they know you don't know how to fish and secondly it seems to me your boat is a permanent structure that sits only in one place. I bet if you get someone to help you (who knows how to) turn the boat around it will confuse the hibby jibbies out of those fish.

And squirting at your leg... :D Kinky buggers aren't they ? I can only imagine what your leg must look like for them to find it that attractive :rolleyes: :D

Are you saying these fish are taking blind shots ? So they instinctively know there is supposed to be a target but there isn't... Explains why they go fot the legs :D

Mmmm... Frosty, you are getting really positive information about the fish hanging around your boat eh ! I think the hull color plays a big role. I have to admit fish is too scared to even come close to my boat.

9. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Ahem... there are probably something in the area that attracts the fish. Fish may stay in a certain area ie a gravel bottom or a certain type of plant or algea in that area. If you go out with the boat I very much doubt they will follow. They probably are just curious about the movement on the water's edge and them taking a pot shot at you is just to see if it will bring food or not. You could probably condition them... each time they try their luck and you throw a piece of bread in there pretty soon you'll be able to take a shower right there... just bring bread :)

10. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

These are smart fish ,even though their eyes are below the water they can make calculations so that they shoot at a fly for instance. They can calculate for the light refraction (if thats the right word)

They don't swim deep and they don't swim on the surface, just between 6 foot and zero. Some one must be able to fathom this out.

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Maybe a comparison between the fish under your boat, chimpanzees, & American uni students could prove interesting and enlightening. Safie might well say the gene pool has deteriorated since their separation from the respective (European) mother countries & not enough cross pollination. C'mon tourists, do your bit for Americans intelligence levels inject some new genetic material into the mix.

12. Kay9

Kay9 1600T Master

Put a small wire in the water. Run a multimeter from the block to the wire in the water. Anything over .05 Volts is bad. I use 1 pound of zinc per foot of wetted hull and they last 2+ years. I also adjust the in the water voltage when Im fishing for salmon. Silvers I keep the voltage at .05 and Chinooks I set the voltage to .075. It dose make a diffrence.

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Now we are getting some where. I done that K9, some time ago I think it was .o6. I even read a book but cant remember now.

As I mentioned I replaced the anodes in April and they are about done. I have 24 inch 4 blade props and stainless shafts,obviously going to make ctrickery.

I have a galvanised nail on a piece of wire and some copper on another.

I done all that testing stuff. Ille do it again today.

Strange actually because if I kneel down by the shaft and have one leg touch the motor and one knee touch the shaft I get a tingle,--but nothing on the meter( buy a new meter) yeah I done that?

I also have 2 batt switches pos and neg. Ive always prefered this way. What do you think about that? Fibre glass boat.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

Frosty, are you on shore power? Is that circuit earthed somewhere? Then think who else may be on shore power with their earth the wrong way round, by which I mean the active is earthed and the neutral is switched on their boat, thereby making a circuit via the shore power, through their boat to the earth/neutral link line in your boat. Particularly if they use a non polarised plug/socket as opposed to the Australian standard which has the neutral link set by law/electrical standards for 240v ac.

No expert on this, but all non polarised plugs make me nervous for that reason. Do you get my drift or do I need to do diagrams to supplement my poor english?

15. masalai

masalai masalai

. . . \ /
    .. . . ! . as opposed to . I I . or . o o . getting the spacing is difficult.