Discussion- Multi-purpose Onboard Computers

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by TerryKing, Sep 24, 2007.

1. TedZ

TedZ Junior Member

I looked at the Nomatronics site. Appears to be made in Germany. Could not find pricing, but it looks like it could do a lot. Has anyone used one?

Rabbit is here. http://www.rabbit.com/products/kits/

Also look at their application kits.

An embedded system is only limited by your ability. It has no preconceptions! You "hang" what you want on it. I have an application that texts me (SMS) on my cell phone if an event occurs (such as high water). All kinds of internet enabled application can be done if you want that kind of thing. I have no stock in Z-World (makes Rabbit). There are other good embedded systems. The PIC microcontroller comes to mind.

If you want to do embedded system development, you pick a system and get familiar with it. There are on-line sessions for training and forums just like this one to help.

To get back to the topic...if you want to interface a GPS with the world the hardare and software is under $100 and comes with most of the development boards. Check out the sample programs or talk to them before you order.

Ted

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Check "robotics" post history- I think he works for the company that makes them.

I like PICs, they seem to be a fairly reliable, cheap solution for a lot of applications where you don't need much computing power. I've seen them used successfully in some pretty demanding applications. Although, the programmer board and software can get expensive if you want to move beyond the basics.

It seems to me that one could easily go overboard with little embedded systems, though. (I've seen this happen.) At some point early in the development of a system, it's important to step back and ask "Can I do this without a computer?" As reliable as modern electronics can be, anytime you add circuitry you're also adding another failure mode.

3. TedZ

TedZ Junior Member

I think we are already overboard with electronics, and it is very important as boaters to continuously ask, "if this fails, what then?" Electronic engines and transmissions, controlls, sychronizers, stabilizers, all of the radios, GPS's, on my boat the oven, obviously the TV's, clocks, AC's, on my boat the domestic water (Shark pump) etc. etc. The list is endless.

If you have to pay for software development that is a whole different matter. I want to again stress that computer programming skills in some system are pretty much essential, or now is the time to go back to an adult education course.

As far as the microprocessors being "little" that they are physically. Probably 10 to 1000 times more powerful than the moon shot computers but we all know how fast that industry moves...since 1969!!!

Time flies.

Ted

4. robotics

robotics Junior Member

@marshmat
    yes i work for this company and i am to be proud on our products.

@TedZ
    every programmer with little experience in Assembler or C can develop
    something on the evalutionboards from Rabbit,Atmel or Pic or other. this boards for (its in the name "evalution") are for testing and evaluating the controller and IC's. bat for a professionell product it is important to create owen boards with special devices logics and low power consumptions.

@marshmat
    yes you say rigth , if more complex the systems the sources of errors will be more.

I think the best way is to find a middle way between hardware logic and software.

@TedZ
    whe are manufacturer whe can not publish prices , bat in Germany the official price enduser of Magicplex are 499,-€ with Tax
    please ask your next Dealer for your price!

regards

robotics

5. robotics

robotics Junior Member

sorry, double post
    regards

robotics

6. masalai

masalai masalai

I am weary of intel cpu's and what OS - ?

robitics - Thanks for the reply, any links?

7. robotics

robotics Junior Member

try ARM processor with linux or better QNX
    QNX is (sorry! for me) the the best realtime OS. and for no commercial use it is also free.
    bat for linux you have alot of free software also for navigation.
    with a good linux distribution you need only 200 Mhz /400 Mhz(with VGA Display) on ARM-processors

regards from Germany

8. TedZ

TedZ Junior Member

Rabbit development boards are the processor board with a devolopment board attached that have headers etc. to hook on to the processor for development. When you are done and remove the processor board from the development board you have EXACTLY the same thing (board with CPU, memory, I/O etc.) that is incorporated into consumer or industrial products. I leave them together for what i do. If i needed 10,000, obviously i would do a PCB in the interest of economy.

Rabbit CPU's are made by either themselves or by someone to their specs. They say "Rabbit" on them.

I know nothing about Nomatronics and i don't think i said anything that could be interpreted as negative. Wondering what the price is does not seem like an off the wall concern! Knowing that it is about $1200 or so US (i think that the symbol was Euros) strikes me as a lot of capability for the money. Because i have programmed all of my adult life, i go a different route. Completed units such as this can save a lot of time.

All embedded systems can function as real time operating systems (RTOS) if you program them accordingly. Once you start using data bases or disk storage, forget it...if you needed it in the first place. I'm not doing cancer research...we are talking boating here. :--)

Ted

Ted

9. burgoynebc

burgoynebc Junior Member

re rabbit

Thanks for your info and offer to help Ted. I'll dig further into the rabbit site.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.