De sulphator ..any good

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by pistnbroke, Dec 17, 2011.

1. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

doin some research for another forum and came across these ..now always thought if a 1 week connection to a charger wont bring it back its dead.

What these modern devices are doing is charging two capacitors in parallel across the battery and then the electronics puts them in series giveing a 24v pusle to the the battery.....a bit like the old idea of using half wave rectified ac to charge a battery ...very pulsey....

I also see companies setting up to do regular de sulphation on a commercial basis for fork lifts etc so is there something in it ...???/

2. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

There is a fellow on net selling "China Powder" to desulphate batteries. He also sells franchises and you can buy "China Powder" in bulk from him and become a millionaire entrepeneur selling the powder or servicing companies with fleets of electric forktrucks....yada yada yada...
    I believe "China Powder" is magnesium sulphate. Also known as heptahydrate epsomite (MgSO4·7H2O), commonly called Epsom salt.
    De-sulphating batteries with epsom salt is an old trick from early 1900s, 1950s.
    Mix half a cup epsom salt into a liter of boiling water. Stir till dissolved.
    Add 3 tablespoons of epsom salt solution to each sulphated cell in dead battery. Check battery with hygrometer. Treat only dead cells.
    Charge for 2 days. Agitate while charging. Requires frequent shaking of battery, or, sit battery on a board resting on a large speaker. Play 1960s acid rock or other heavy bass music. Or do as I do. Buy an orbital finish sander and a pack of velcro backed sanding sheets for it. Glue a sanding sheets grit side to back of battery. Place battery on old bed springs or on a web of shock cord so it can jiggle. Attach orbital sander to velcroed sanding sheet glued on battery. Hook up charger and turn on sander to vibrate agitate battery.

3. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

I actually meant the electronic version

4. Yobarnacle

I know you did. 3lbs box of Epsom salt is about $3 at drug store or pharmacy area of walmart. Would fix about, hmmm, 1000 batteries. How much does the electronic doodad cost?

5. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

would not fix a sealed battery and in my opinion woud not fix any batteries ...

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

West marine advisor had a write up on this a few years ago. They suggested turning everything off and taking the batteries up to 17 and more.

It kinda used to work on the better type batteries in the old days but I dont think new ones appreciate it and are incapable of being resuscitated.

7. Yobarnacle

well, I got 20 batteries from the dump for $200, and already had one with a bad cell. Treated all with epsom salt in the dead cells. Ended up with 10 usable batteries, that would produce 12 volts and hold a charge. Paid another $55 to drop off the un-resucitable batteries back at dump. So, 10 batteries for $255 and about a weeks working on them. $25 each fair price?

8. Yobarnacle

Here are some links about epsom salts and other additives to repair sulphated batteries. Each instruction differs from what I said and from each other. i also included a link where they said they didn't think it would work.
    And I included a link to convert an old lead acid battery to an alkaline battery by dumping the electrolite and refilling with an alum solution. interesting.
    there are tons of links about saving batteries. Here are a few.

http://peswiki.com/index.php/OS:Lead_Acid_Battery_Reconditioning_with_Replacement_Electrolytes

http://www.ehow.com/how_7505036_recondition-automotive-battery.html

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/additives

http://ysuusy.com/Lead_Acid_Car_Battery_Repair.html

negative opinion
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead–acid_battery

alum alkaline conversion of lead acid battery
    http://blog.hasslberger.com/2007/01/how_to_convert_a_lead_acid_bat.html

9. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

you are righ Frosty ..in the old days we charged them to 15.3 v on a car and a lot more on the bench ...the idea is to give a pulse of higher voltage which does not cause the battery to heat up or gas ....

but does it work

10. bertho

bertho bertho

11. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

Buy any top end charger and they are built in these days ( c-tek)
    Check out any forklift/golfcart charger, been built in for years.
    We have been missing out for years ( me included) from the auto/marine world
    http://www.megapulse.net/uploads/media/CSIRO_01.pdf

12. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Very interesting but not really conclusive ..like your comment on the marine and auto being left out ...I want it for the 50-60% discharge on the batteries on my electric boat ......do I use it on one and not the other !!!!!

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

$25.00 per battery, plus 4hrs@ $7.25(minimum wager) is $29.00. The total is $54.00 for a questionable battery. I don't see that as a good deal.

14. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Did I miss something gonzo ...?? where /why have these figures appeared ???

15. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

it works for any lead acid style battery
    Can take months to fully restore as in restore as much as possible or so I am told by people that have tried with half dead batterys
    Many fleet owners have them permanenty installed on trucks and buses

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.