Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 01-07-2017, 08:33 AM

Rep: 512 Posts: 632
Adjusting time on a replacement tachometer/hour meter

I'm replacing a defective Faria Tachometer/Hour Meter in my lower helm. The wiring for this instrument is simple. + (batt), ground and a signal wire from the ignition system. I run an older boat and still use a simple points and condenser ignition. It works fine.

The hour meter portion of the tach requires a signal from the ignition system in order to record hours. In other words simply turning the key "on" won't record any time on the meter. The engine actually has to be running and the tachometer reading engine RPM.

I'd like to match up the new replacement tach with the one on the upper helm. So, I'll need to add some hours.

I believe a signal generator will allow me to do this on the workbench. For a couple of bucks I ordered a simple unit from Amazon. The unit has no instructions and while I've become a pretty good boat builder, I'm by no means an electronics technician.

Here is a link to the signal generator.

https://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-Square...gnal+generator

I see from reviews that someone used this item as I want to and for a couple of dollars it's worth a try.

My question is how do I configure the signal generator? I don't have an oscilloscope. There are 4 sets of jumpers that I can use. I don't know which pins I should jump.

Can anyone shed a little light on this for me. I just don't want to damage my tach by doing something I shouldn't.

Regards,

MIA
Old 01-27-2017, 09:31 PM

Well I finally had a chance to try out the signal generator mentioned in the post above.

I was able to answer my own question.

If you look at the photos of the generator you'll see that there are 4 jumpable pins in the center of the board. The board ships with the jumper installed on the top two pins. I experimented and found that when I moved the jumper to the second set of pins, one down from the top, I was able to generate a signal that caused my tach to register about 1550 RPM.

At this point my hour meter began to record time. And.....at this time, the little signal generator cost $2.82 and shipped free. This is about the least expensive "fix" I'll ever make on my boat.

So it works. Hopefully this will help someone else set a replacement tachometer.

MIA
Old 01-28-2017, 11:49 AM

Rep: 23 Posts: 103
The usually and customary way to handle this is to note meter change and the mileage in the ships logs.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:18 PM

Really? Well, I suppose that's an option but why not synchronize both meters and not have to worry about hours in the log? Scot, on old style meters synchronization was easy but the newer meters (such as the Farias I'm using) work differently.

For a couple of bucks and a little time in the off season I'd rather my hour meters match up.

But hey, we're all different aren't we?

Regards,

MIA