87 Ski Supreme Speedometer leaking

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by whbjr24, Aug 2, 2015.

1. whbjr24

whbjr24 Junior Member

I bought an 87 Ski supreme and first trip across the lake I discovered water running out of the front of the speedo gauge onto my knee. I thought "Now that's interesting but far from optimum!". One of the questions I have is that I followed the tube from the gauge to the pitot and found a silver cylinder (about 5 inches long) in the line mounted on the inside of the transom. The tube from the gauge connected to one end of it while the line from the pitot connected to the other end. Anyone have any idea what that might be? Also, is the water in the line supposed to make its way all the way to the gauge?

Thanks in advance, Bill.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It may be a damper. A small orifice will keep the gauge from jumping around. The water only goes a short distance up the tube, unless there is a leak at the gauge. It is just a pressure gauge.

3. whbjr24

whbjr24 Junior Member

Thanks Gonzo.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.