Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 02-24-2014, 11:51 AM
epoxy coated

Rep: 826 Posts: 3,460
Yvan has posted an update on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/yvan.bourgnon

I've edited the bing translate slightly to make it more legible.

Yvan news, 24 February, at 12 h 05: "I just collided with 2 tree trunks (fortunately I was at 6 knots)."
But I broke the Log (which allows to calculate the number of miles travelled and to esteem with the sextant), suddenly I'll be less accurate in my position.
I hope not to miss the Galapagos... I'll have to do more points to overlap and have my position.
The wind increased to 30 knots tonight, but has since calmed.
I'm fine, I'm in shape! "Yvan
Old 02-25-2014, 07:49 AM

Rep: 25 Posts: 842

Here's some excerpts from an article/interview yesterday on a Swiss news site:

Quote:

Everything went well during your last stop (in Panama)?

Yes, even if the boat was entirely taken apart. That wasn't planned. But going through the canal is very expensive and dangerous for a vessel of only 400 kg, jostling with other vessels of 20-25 tons! It was much better to transport the catamaran.

What is the next part of your journey going to be like?

That will be a pretty slow leg to the Galapagos. A week of sailing 1200 miles. I'll have cold air from the south. It will be complicated with lots of short tacks. The water will become 10 C colder - it is 26 C here. So I'll have to dress properly, especially at night, and take care to change clothes twice a day. But I'm more afraid of heat than cold. If I were to be becalmed under a hot sun... Also I've had skin problems since Martinique, which have caused itching.

And what about the elements? (sea and weather conditions)

The worst is yet to come in the Pacific. I just collided with two tree trunks. Happily I was only doing 6 knots. But I broke the log (which keeps track of the miles sailed and then helps with sextant observations). So I'll have less precise positioning. I hope I don't miss the Galapagos. I'll make more sightings so as to figure my postition.

Already you've had two capsizings and terrible conditions; After that it makes me shiver to hear that the worst is yet to come...

Yes, I've had ten thousand reasons to halt everything. The Capsizes, the rudder breakage.. But I'm also having as much fun as a kid. I'm feeling good and I'm confident. I don't think about the two capsizes, but I'm very happy to have righted the boat. They told me that I'd never make it alone, but I made the necessary adjustments. Because most sailors who have tried this kind of crossing and who've capsized have been forced to abandon.

How long will you stay in the Galapagos?

This will be my shortest stopover. Without any technical problems I'll only be there three or four days. It's a place that has become very expensive. There a kind of racket organized for the price of gasoline, in particular.

You wanted to visit your brother and old crewmate in Raiatea, French Polynesia. Is that still planned?

Yes, that will no doubt be another leg, after my stop in the Marquesas. It's five years I've not seen him. I think we'll enjoy being together a week to ten days.

Since Vincent Beauvarlet backed out, you've been alone on board. All your stops have then been critical in terms of getting rest...

Being alone on the boat makes it unbelievably more difficult to handle. People don't realize what a difference it makes to be alone. The complexity is multiplied threefold. Not only with regard to sleep. Twohanded, when you sleep six hours, you really sleep. Here, you're never completely rested. I'm always fighting exhaustion, mainsheet in hand. On the stopovers I also don't have a team to help me as do the participants in the Volvo Ocean Race or the Solitaire du Figaro. Though I do have help from people on the spot, the bulk of the work is done by me alone. So the stops aren't really complete rest.

But still, you chose to continue alone...

I hadn't imagined that at the outset of the project. That's why I gave it a lot of thought before doing it. Doing it solo is something I'd never have started off trying. But since I've designed the boat from A to Z, it has given me a lot of confidence about the reliability and safety of the project.

How did you feel about the departure of Vincent?

I am in total incomprehension about that. I was never angry towards him. What he did is not worthy behavior between seafarers. This is not anyone I wish to see ever again. It's a shame that his ego did not allow him to simply quietly withdraw, rather than trying to scupper the project (editor's note: demanding repayment by Bourgnon, Beauvarlet had the boat seized, only allowing his former co-skipper to continue after he made a sequestered payment). Especially as it (the boat) is mine. I brought in 100% of sponsors.

What will happen next in that regard?

There will be a court case lasting five years, as with all French legal disputes. The lawyers will be beavering away. This whole business is more damaging for him than for me, even if I'm again in search of sponsors to finance my adventure. And the time lost has turned into an advantage. I made good use of the month in Martinique, to make improvements to the boat. So much the better, it turned out!

Bourgnon's Facebook contains a verbiose letter about his project (in the form of a photo) today, but it contained nothing newsworthy. Except I note that the letter does not anywhere stipulate that this is a solo project, which is a little odd if indeed he wishes to continue solo...

Maybe he's still interested in finding a crew?
Old 02-25-2014, 08:05 AM

Rep: 21 Posts: 77
Swiss news site

Great stuff Blackburn,
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Yes, hitting something at speed is one of the greatest fears of ocean crossing these days .... with so many low floating containers being thrown off in storms. Scary indeed.
Safe landings Yvan.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:52 AM

Yvan got to Galapagos a couple of days ago, and should be starting the longer leg to Marquesas pretty soon.

Quote:

... I saw my first turtle! Right up alongside the hull. I could even touch it.

The clever gannetts have discovered that the catamaran causes the flying fish to take off. I serve them up a little bait. They try to catch the fish just ahead of the bows.

I'm a poor fisherman. Yesterday I wasn't sailing fast enough to fish, but the days before, I didn't catch much either apart from plastic bags. At the moment I only have one fishing line, I'll try to make another for the Pacific.

... I slipped on the trampoline, I fell in the water and found myself being towed like a fool behind the boat...
Old 03-05-2014, 09:22 AM

Here's the tracker of Yvan's route from Panama to Galapagos, displaying his recent 6+ day trip, one of which was becalmed.

And here's the tracker for his upcoming voyage to the Marquesas, which can show you the wind forecast 72hrs ahead.

He expects to take 23-30 days completing this leg.

He has written a little about it, I'll translate tomorrow but the gist was that seasonal winds haven't kicked in yet, so he's going to have to detour south a bit.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:08 PM

Pacific

To add perspective to this crossing, the Marquesas (at 3000 miles from the Galapagos Isles) are only 1/2 way across the Pacific and even though the ocean is scattered with islands for the 2nd half, these are still typically 300-500 miles apart, so there's still a lot of adventure to come. This next long stage will certainly be an extreme challenge of physical endurance while facing the elements - particularly the effects of exposure and fatigue. Gods speed Yvan.
Attached Thumbnails
Yvan Bougnon's circumnavigation in a beach cat project-pacific-yvanb-mar2014.jpg  
Old 03-05-2014, 12:31 PM

Video

Have to say, been long interested in the video snips taken on board.
While some are from a fixed camera (with no relative movement between camera and boat parts), others are clearly taken hand-held and either Yvan is using a camera on a boom or there's someone temporarily very close or on board for this purpose - typically in pretty calm conditions. I notice that a Paul Cotta is often given credit for the images and presentation. Doesn't change the risks of the adventure but what's the consensus here?
Old 03-06-2014, 04:19 PM

Rep: 82 Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by W17 designer View Post
Have to say, been long interested in the video snips taken on board.
While some are from a fixed camera (with no relative movement between camera and boat parts), others are clearly taken hand-held and either Yvan is using a camera on a boom or there's someone temporarily very close or on board for this purpose - typically in pretty calm conditions. I notice that a Paul Cotta is often given credit for the images and presentation. Doesn't change the risks of the adventure but what's the consensus here?
probably a wide angle gopro on a boom. Paul might be editing or shooting from the support vessel when in range?
Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 PM

^^^

There have been a couple of times that they've filmed from up close recently, but I don't recall seeing anything looking like a cameraman on the boat.

Bourgnon wrote (yesterday) that his departure on the next leg was to be at 10pm Paris time today - which is an hour and a half ago. Maybe he's already out of sight of Galapagos, see the tracker 4 posts above.

Nope, his departure is delayed until tomorrow:

Quote:
Pour des raisons de formalités administratives complexes à terminer aux Iles Galapagos, le départ d'Yvan est reporté à demain vendredi 7 mars à 9h heure locale, donc 16h - heure francaise.

For complex official reasons regarding leaving the Galapagos, Yvan's departure is delayed until tomorrow Friday 7th March at 9hrs local time, 1600 hrs French time.
Old 03-06-2014, 04:54 PM

re the video

Yes doubtless a GoPro but I am still intrigued. I know from my own filming on board small boats that by hand holding, one can compensate for boat motion, creating a more natural, fluid image aimed at the subject or horizon, compared to when the camera is fixed. Some shots on board certainly look to me like someone is compensating for the pitching and heeling. Doing this on a long pole would seem hard without the camera end resting somewhere - and then, the camera would be steady relative to the boat and not have the movement that is presently apparent. As someone who enjoys camera work, I'm just intrigued.
Yes, the big crossing must now be underway ... have to say, this certainly ups the tension and excitement.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:08 PM

^^^

The big crossing starts tomorrow they say.

Have you seen the recent little Sony videocams with stabilization via 'Balanced Optical Steadyshot', where the lens moves independently inside the housing ?

It's fantastic compared to anything earlier.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:45 PM

video

New to me! Pricey perhaps. I was planning on getting one of the Drift sports cameras, as it has a screen and remote control included. Sorry - off subject, I know
Old 03-06-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Yes doubtless a GoPro but I am still intrigued. I know from my own filming on board small boats that by hand holding, one can compensate for boat motion, creating a more natural, fluid image aimed at the subject or horizon, compared to when the camera is fixed. Some shots on board certainly look to me like someone is compensating for the pitching and heeling. Doing this on a long pole would seem hard without the camera end resting somewhere - and then, the camera would be steady relative to the boat and not have the movement that is presently apparent. As someone who enjoys camera work, I'm just intrigued.
Yes, the big crossing must now be underway ... have to say, this certainly ups the tension and excitement.

Im also a camera fan. Cant wait to get my blog up and running when my strike is finished. there is a serious lack of content out there about small boat adventures, especially in small multihulls. I plan to fill this gap or attempt to.

Yea Im thinking some nice image stabilization or even a camera on gimbals on the end of the pole.I have seen similar mounts on monoslows filming club racing.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:43 AM

Small boat adventures

Perhaps you'll enjoy this little cruise report then - being as the Strike is in the same size range as a W17. Hardly trans-ocean ! ... but at least well out in the China Sea ;-) There's more on the website. Enjoy, and good luck with your video work.
http://www.smalltridesign.com/W17/gr...uise-8day.html

Old 03-07-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you'll enjoy this little cruise report then - being as the Strike is in the same size range as a W17. Hardly trans-ocean ! ... but at least well out in the China Sea ;-) There's more on the website. Enjoy, and good luck with your video work.
http://www.smalltridesign.com/W17/gr...uise-8day.html
I hate to keep steering it off topic but its "generally" related, small boat and big adventures

Ive read that account about 3 times. Ive read everything on your site at least 2 times and I check 2 or 3 times a week for content update. Im a rabid dog for information about small trimarans. You and I have also exchanged emails (my name is David) about building a W17, which is my rough plan when my strike is done.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I have this idea for a total gulf coast run starting at the border of Mexico and heading north following the coast, ending in Key West on a small open tri.

I plan on building a nice content style site/blog for my camping and cruising adventures in small tris with good amounts of pictures and video and data.

Yvan is a huge inspiration to me. I enjoy seeing people, however reckless, push the limits. Afterall, that is the ultimate freedom, to pursue whatever you want, despite the possible negative outcomes. But I also think Im possibly on the fringe with my beliefs as I also think NASA and other agencies should stop "playing it safe" and just start building on the moon and throwing people on rockets for Mars... someone will eventually make it

Yvan has calculated all the possible ways this can go wrong and he is as prepared as one can be on such a small boat and I think he is even "prepared" for the ultimate possible ending of such an adventure. This is a very important personal challenge to him and I think that no one should stand in his way to stop him or ridicule him as being "crazy" or a "lunatic".