Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Multihulls

Old 03-07-2014, 11:34 AM

Rep: 21 Posts: 77
Adventuring

Yes, as you know, I agree with your last paragraph David. GO Yvan GO!
(By the way, if you're a master of XHTML, please email me. I need some help!).
Old 03-07-2014, 02:45 PM

Rep: 25 Posts: 842

LINK

Quote:

Yvan Bourgnon released from Galapagos Psychiatric ward.

Following an involuntary 24-hour psychiatric evaluation, Yvan Bourgnon has been permitted to leave the hospital in the Galapagos, the medical authorities in Galapagos stating that 'if he wishes to sail alone across the Pacific in such a boat, it is now a matter for the French foreign ministry to intercede'.

Bourgnon, who left Panama on Sunday February 23rd, and landed in San Cristobal, Galapagos last Sunday at 4:30 PM after a seven day trip, was under observation on the fifth floor of the San Cristobal Charles Darwin Clinic, after cruise ship passengers had reported that they had seen him talking to turtles and sea lions; photos of such activity having also appeared on his Facebook page.

Cruise ship passenger Vincent Beauvarlet, visiting the islands on the 'Caribbean Bijoux', said to our reporter that he had overheard Bourgnon "telling the sea lions that if one of them would sail with him and pull the boat during the calm periods and while he slept, then he would pay their airfare back to Galapagos after the trip."

Bougnon, without any sea lions on board, left the Galapagos this afternoon at 11:55 in the morning, headed in the direction of Nuku Hiva.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:58 PM

Sea lions

Oh geez! ... I thought everyone talked to sea lions! Ah well, someone is having fun with this. Yvan might not have 'his feet on the ground' but he's very smooth on the water. But perhaps 'that passenger' needs evaluation though ;-)
Old 03-14-2014, 09:09 AM

On the seventh day after sailing from Galapagos, Yvan Bourgnon's tracker shows he's now done 973nm. If you switch on the wind info, he's now gotten into steady winds allowing him to beam reach all the way to the Marquesas.

On his facebook page - after several days of complaining about incessant heavy rain, being soaking wet and not having enough wind - Bourgnon has these latest entries:

Quote:
Friday March 14.
Yesterday I went up the mast in my harness, because my jacket which I'd hung up to dry had twisted itself around the shrouds. It was exhausting because there were troughs and even having stopped the boat it shook in every direction.

It is very wet all the time due to the rain and the waves, I'm constantly soaked, and since there is no sun I cannot charge my batteries, I can't use the autopilot, I'm having to steer much more. And without the sun it's impossible to get a sextant reading. For three days I haven't known my position, but it isn't a big deal, the sun will return!

The wind is now steady and moderate. I'm fit as a fiddle, especially since the wind has picked up, et que ša glisse!

LINK
There we have that expression 'glisse' again. Here it is something like 'See how the boat is flowing along!'

Quote:
Thursday March 13.
Yesterday there was heavy rain. I spent the night soaked with my teeth chattering. Since this morning the wind has risen, I get drenched by flying seawater. But I appreciate it; now I'm going along at 10-15 knots. It's really a pleasure to finally have this required speed because I've been behind my schedule since the start of this leg.
After five days, I've gotten through the hardest part, struggling in light airs to get out of this becalmed zone.
The conditions are very good.
A small flying fish hit me in the face this morning; I must have a black eye. I could eat them but they are very small fish; you'd spend more time catching them than eating them.
I'm going to do some more fishing tomorrow... of bonitos... their good meat which I love (finally... some good fish)!

Yvan Bourgnon's YouTube: Two videos this week from his stop in the Galapagos.

And in a facebook entry March 9th, there was this: "A big thank you to Yvan's supporters who share these postings and translate them into English, Spanish, Italian, and even Russian! That's great!

Why... You're welcome!

Old 03-16-2014, 05:12 AM

This item posted on his facebook yesterday:

Quote:

Saturday, March 15, 2014, 16:30

"I struck an object tonight, and the rudder blade broke in two. Suddenly I have to continue with just one rudder, at reduced speed so as to not break the other.

There is still no sun, it rains less, but I can't dry my clothes, too much humidity ...

I look forward to seeing the sun again! "

Yvan
Old 03-16-2014, 07:39 PM

foils

Oh dear! Have to say, I'm a little surprised, especially after the first experience in the Atlantic, that Yvan did not arrange to pack a spare rudder and dagger board on board ... the rudder would probably fit in one hull and the board could be strapped to the tramp. Foils are certainly very vulnerable parts and with all the garbage floating around, logs, lost containers etc, I'd sure want a spare for a 3000 mile trip. A careful choice of minimal spares is part of any long trip planning as clearly total weight is critical, but for my money, at least a spare rudder and associated parts would be high on the list. Sure hope he can make it to the Marquesas with this handicap.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:01 PM

Rep: 1749 Posts: 4,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by W17 designer View Post
Oh dear! Have to say, I'm a little surprised, especially after the first experience in the Atlantic, that Yvan did not arrange to pack a spare rudder and dagger board on board ... ....

me too - especially after this comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2far2drive View Post
Yvan has calculated all the possible ways this can go wrong and he is as prepared as one can be on such a small boat and I think he is even "prepared" for the ultimate possible ending of such an adventure. This is a very important personal challenge to him and I think that no one should stand in his way to stop him or ridicule him as being "crazy" or a "lunatic".
The world is full of "very important personal challenged people" - all after the popular accolades and public approval, or is it the adrenaline rush ?

If they get lucky and survive, they get the rewards - if they don't, then one more "lunatic" leaves the gene pool.

Personally, I dislike encouraging people to risk their and other peoples lives for little real achievement.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:47 PM

challenges

Personally, I am still glad this world has such people and perhaps in presently unknown ways, we can still benefit and learn something. I understand this challenge has long interested Yvan and he knew he could not wait much longer, or the required physical endurance and strength would no longer be there. As long as there are new challenges, there will be someone who needs to take it on ... and good for them! Sailors certainly have more to learn from this, than say someone deciding to climb a new mountain or jump from some crazy new height. Just a personal viewpoint though.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:03 AM

Rep: 509 Posts: 2,851
RWatson, my man, I'm sure that Yvan Bougnon needed absolutely no encouragement to do what he is doing now; it would have been his idea and his decision. Remember his brother Laurent broke records and established new sailing approaches when he singlehanded his big ORMA 60. I'd say it's in their genes. You (and I) may not have this extreme motivation ... but they do. Admire their tenacity. Leave it at that.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Baigent View Post
RWatson, my man, I'm sure that Yvan Bougnon needed absolutely no encouragement to do what he is doing now;... ... but they do. Admire their tenacity. Leave it at that.
I cant agree with that sentiment. Stop reading here if you dont want to be bored to death by an old fart who rambles on about lifes problems

But - I think .....

everyone who risks their life is motivated by something - and it usually boils down to internal social needs, or some external motivation like money.

With the advent of the internet, the pressure on young people to be recognized, to be 'different' and 'special' has never been greater.

From Base Jumping to solo-sailing, the number of young people risking their lives, the lives of rescuers, their health, and the time of hospitals and doctors - has never been greater.

I have one child who has wiffled his 28 years away on high adrenalin activities, acquiring no productivity skills, who will be a burden to himself and society in future years.

It gives me no joy seeing that, and all the other youngsters, get addicted to risky pursuits that really don't produce any real rewards.

Sure - you see a lot of YouTube videos and Websites showing amazing feats of endurance and skill.

Now, try searching for memorials of young dead adventurers, or those crippled and maimed by misadventure, or distraught parents who lose children to ill advised activities.

Not too many of those - are there !

End of sermon.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:07 AM
redreuben

Rep: 349 Posts: 1,468
How depressing to write ones son off at 28.

Forget to take your happy pills today ?
Old 03-17-2014, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redreuben View Post
How depressing to write ones son off at 28.

Forget to take your happy pills today ?
probably.

I remember a true story, of a mum who asked her 85 yo. mother

"How old do you have to be before you stop worrying about your children"

The old lady stopped moment, then said "Oh, my dear, you will have to ask someone much older than me ".
Old 03-17-2014, 04:31 AM

Rep: 436 Posts: 2,097
Quote:- "It gives me no joy seeing that, and all the other youngsters, get addicted to risky pursuits that really don't produce any real rewards." Quote.
How do you regard "real rewards".
Perhaps rewards by your standards.
But how about the standards of other people. Don't they have the right to set their own standards which meet their own particular requirements and bring their own "real rewards". Don't forget, The Grass is Greener------------etc:.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:38 AM
epoxy coated

Rep: 826 Posts: 3,473
Yvan's latest facebook update notes that his autopilot has failed again. I cant think of anything worse on a long voyage than that, hopefully he can lash the tiller and balance the boat reasonably well to get some rest. On the positive side he is now making steady progress as the wind has filled in.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:05 AM

Rep: 702 Posts: 5,443
I still reckon that Japanese fella that skied down Mt Everest about 40 years ago set the standard for mad adventure, and all others since are just not measuring up.