Yoghurt

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by 1J1, Dec 3, 2012.

1. 1J1

1J1 Senior Member

ShipSpotting.com
    [​IMG]
    © Lars Brunkman

Any infos about this boat with such strange sails?

2. pogo

pogo ingenious dilletante

Yoghurt

I remember the boat sailing in the 80s on the baltic, there have also been some articles in the german magazine "Yacht".
    Now it`s a housboat in London, (scroll down):
    http://flowingmu.wordpress.com/2008/11/page/7/

pogo

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I hear it's got a lot of culture!

4. 1J1

1J1 Senior Member

Pogo, thanks for your reply & infos about current status. Anything can be said about her original sails? I see such ones for the first time & would be nice to know the reason behind their shape.

5. Submarine Tom

Culture, Yogurt, get it?!?!

6. pogo

pogo ingenious dilletante

So, you really think we are on intellectual limbo-level, no, on U-boat level.

Persons who think that they have to explain their kindergarten-level jokes are ........
    :p

pogo

7. Submarine Tom

Awe, pogo, you're all heart :)

Don't worry, my wife is German, I understand your "sense of humour".

8. Petros

Petros Senior Member

back to the boat...I wonder what the idea was with that complex sailing rig. It does not seem very efficient particularly for all the trouble they went to rig it all up.

Anyone know anything about the rigging?

9. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Tried to google something about the boat, but the only useful thing I've found so far is this one: http://theboatgalley.com/yogurt/
    Looks good, I'll try it at home. :)

As about the rig, it is definitely a strange arrangement. Inefficient both because of splitting the rig into 4 separate short overlapping sails and because of the planform shape of each sail.
    Looks like the designer wanted to make up for the lost lift due to the sail twist towards the masthead, by giving it more chord. But that's a wrong strategy, as it adds big amount of heeling moment for just a small profit in terms of drive force. and anyways, it still doesn't explain the narrowing of the sail shape towards the central part of the mast. The 4 poles at the corners of the deck are just additional drag, so overall this boat's rig looks like an example of some kind of intuitive aerodynamics applied in a wrong manner.

Not that the hydrodynamic part looks much better either...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.