Why don't lots more people sail multis..???

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by buzzman, Aug 14, 2013.

1. champ0815

champ0815 Senior Member

Some other small production multis with price information... . Seems not so far away from monos of the same range... .

2. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Craig.
    The Mac 36 is a fine catamaran. It can certainly handle rough water.
    However having said that I would not like to sail on one from where you live to California.
    It is really just a big beach cat.
    It's no fun on the open ocean sitting on a trampoline. There is no helmsman protection as all the accommodations are all in the hulls. It would be fine sleeping on the tramp under a boom tent at anchor or dockside. But I wouldn't like to try it on a filthy black night at sea.

In a seagoing Catamaran what is needed is sleeping accommodation in the hulls, with two or three steps up to a saloon or protected helmsmans station.
    The Crowther spindrift 37 comes to mind,or one of Woods bigger cats.

3. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

The mention of the strike 18 NOT using beach parts couldnt be further from the truth. The boat was designed to adapt to any numbet catamarans as long as they dont use the funky/ugly hobie system. There is also a max and min beam spacing but the range of cats is huge. I suggest you check out his forum under the builders sections and you will find many many posts about this.

I am building a strike 18 right now and using a nacra 5.2 as a donor boat. I have a hobie 18 mast for a stick and i plan to pile on the sail. Rough research and heavy forum reading leads me to believe i might have the highest sail area strike 18 when i finish.

His new strike 15 might fit the bill for a club racer or even mike waters w17! The design even comes with plans for a wingmast once you show 50% completion.

4. CraigDC

CraigDC New Member

Aloha Pat,
    Thank you for your reply.
    If I were to purchase one, it would have a lightweight core deck between the stern and center cross beams. I would also create a protected area using Sunbrella (a biminy) that would also provide rain catchment. The only reason why I would do the California to Hawaii trip is because the boat I'm considering is in California and I would need to sail it to Hawaii, although shipping it is an option.
    I don't understand your comment, "I wouldn't like to try it on a filthy black night at sea".
    I like the idea of it being a big beach cat. That's the type of boat I want. I'm just attempting to ensure it's safe.
    Given my budget, there aren't a lot of options, and it seems the Mac 36 could provide me with what I need at a price I can afford.
    Thanks again!

Craig

5. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Craig.
    I'm not saying you can't sail it from the Islands to SoCal. But you would have to arrange some sort of protective deckhouse to helm from.
    Perhaps something like the "Igloo" which they fitted on "Afterburner".

6. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Or run all the lines to the hatches, maybe as continuous loops, then you'd only have to swap hatches when you tacked, which might not be very often...

7. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

Craig.
    Sailing from So Cal to Hawaii is a very different deal to sailing in the opposite direction, since the prevailing winds and seas are E to W. Given you can pick your time to wait for suitable weather conditions you should have no problems with the Mac36. It has good accommodations in the hulls, so in a bad blow you can simply lower and secure all sails and stay below. The boat can stand much more than you can. (ask Richard Woods).
    However it is much more preferable to arrange some sort of shelter from sun and rain on the deck, for the helmsman.
    I assume you wouldn't be sailing solo. :eek:

8. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

And for those times, take a sea anchor!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.