Why don't lots more people sail multis..???

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by buzzman, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Over what time? In a year 10% might be good; over 10 years it wouldn't be
    keeping up with population increases.

2. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Percentages don't change. It would be the same step change improvement regardless of population numbers.

10% of todays' populatoon or 10% of the population in ten years time.

Proportion is the same, only total number increases over time.

3. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

I like this.

4. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

I guess we now only need someone with the necessary smarts to design it....

How about it Richard? Is this do-able?

5. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

OK, think I have a suitable suggestion for the low cost, entry level beach cat class - the Australian-designed Arrow and Arafura.

Plans are available (inc sail number) for $30 from the SA division. Contacts on the website.

http://arrowarafura.com/about/

6. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

How about combining the cat with the proa?

20' main hull & 12' secondary hull set 12' out. folds and slides some. Basically a modified racing dinghy with an ama"

7. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

LOL...if you want to get people into multis, proas are not the way to go IMHO.

If a cat or tri is "the dark side" for mono sailors, then proas are the dark side of multis.

No offence to all those proa-files on here - I speak 'culturally' and from the perspective of the scale of 'conservative ---to--- wacko'.

Monos at one end, proas at the other, cats and tris in between....

:) :)

8. champ0815

champ0815 Senior Member

Well, I think since beach cats are pretty common, in clubs and also in commercial sailing schools, the problem is to make a design for cruising - something not for the cracks in trapezes, but for those who want to enjoy the time on the water without a workout in mind.
    And IMHO it isn't a problem of design, there are many suitable designs available, e.g. the complete catalogue of Richard Woods. The problem is the availability as an affordable production boat! Most people think "How much and where to buy?" and not "How to build?"
    If you want to populate the waters of the world with multis in comparable numbers to todays monos, there must be comparable mass production of affordable boats in the full range from dinghi to 40 foot (above, there are already the condomarans). If someone would establish an industrial production of multis with the effectiveness of, say Bavaria or Hanse (german companies, known for the cheapest "etablished" production monos in europe), I am convinced that production multis can be affordable.
    As for breaking the "devils cycle" - no costumers, no mass production - no mass production, no customers", I agree in starting with the production of a cheapo mini cruiser in the 15 to 20 foot range. Such an entry level boat could be used in sailing schools and infect the sailor-to-be with the advantages of multi sailing... .

9. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

I was really enjoying that cat, even if you lay her over she is easy to right, in smooth waters.

Then I saw the price tag, they are not that proud of most small planes.

OK some are more proud, but not by much.

10. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

For all the reasons previously listed, they'll still be more expensive than similar length/utility monos.

Frankly I think the only way to get such a manufacture off the ground would be to do it in a low wage economy, so the boats were competitively priced against monos.

But you still have the marina berthing issue, unless the boat(s) are specifically designed as folders.

A cost-effective alternative to the Dragonfly or Farrier is what is needed in the cruiser range.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

I like that champ. From a materials and labor perspective, cats cannot be that much more true cost than monos.

But, there is a huge premium on the niche market. It is like they see you coming and all they can think of is dollar signs, or euros.

12. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

e_g
    Which cat are you referring to...???

13. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

buzzman

There cannot be that much more material in the similar sized boats.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

The Orion

15. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Yeah, the Orion is not cheap, but my point in highlighting it was not the boat itself, but how it has been modified with e masthead float and quick-release shrouds so it can self recover 'on the fly' without having to wait for a rescue boat.

Whatever multis do they need to adopt that methodology to remove the 'non righting from capsize' issue that is - really - the mono sailors only real argument against multis.

If a dinghy capsizes during a race, it's crew can get it up and racing again within seconds (or at least a couple of minutes). In short races it would not have a chance of winning, but at least it would finish.

This capability must be added to off the beach multis so that they 'compete' on the same capsize playing field as monos.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.