What is the best way to construct a mast with multiple short parts?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by freeman1, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Well, if a friction fit works for you great.

If not then perhaps a combination friction (or inteference) fit and and few very small holes with pins or bolts but very small in diameter as they create weak spots. They are only needed to hold the pieces in place, nothing more. Stagger them around the pole so they don't all line up to avoid weakness and vunerability. Stainless steel would be best but galvanized would work too. Leave them out when storing to avoid corrosion with the aluminum.

There should not be any slop, or play, between any of the parts as this will create weak points as well. The parts should fit together snuggly but still come apart after a day sailing.

Good luck, post pictures of your accomplishment (finished product).

P.S. I didn't miss the connection between your forum name and the politics within your country. Planning to sail far are you...?

2. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

My masts are smaller: I can use butterfly clips* used for mounting brushes and other tools on the end of a telescopic pole for cleaning swimming pools. I just drill a through hole in the two pieces of tubing I need to join, and fit one of these inside.

* There's a picture near the bottom of this web page http://www.poolcenter.com/coolpool_cleaning-equipment-accessories.htm - perhaps you can use the same idea; faster than screws.

3. freeman1

freeman1 Junior Member

Thank you Tom, your idea sounds great. I am sure I will post pictures when the mast is done. P.S. I am trying my best to make myself feel like what my forum name suggests. But sailing is definitely not a part of the plan:)
    Kayaker, I am afraid it's not good for a bigger mast, thank you!

4. BobBill

BobBill Senior Member

Just a thought.

I am using two windsurfer mast section, which I will beef a bit with carbon, for the upper section of an original 3 piece aluminum Force 5 mast. It will be on an older dinghy...the pieces will join tightly as the sleeves or ferrules are complimentary.

Now, what I thought to do with some odd pieces was to use a ferrule like those used on graphite (carbon/glass) fishing rods...while the ferrules are made to fit, they do need some reinforcement so they bent like the rest of the rod, with no flat spots, but remain strong. This would be achieved with some thread, covered with polyurethane...some even having a guide wrapped in...and they all work wonderfully.

Will this apply to masts?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.