Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors

Go Back   Boat Design Forums > Design > Multihulls
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Most Recent Posts Gallery Images Search

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #181  
Old 04-28-2012, 11:39 AM
CatBuilder CatBuilder is offline
Previous Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBill View Post
Catbuilder, you are correct, except in the case of the Malibu Outrigger and various proas, intended for surf launch and beaching...see below pics.

I am revamping orig design (class is defunct) to accommodate modern gear etc, and will build to operate as intended, in case.

That odd beach surf, even on Lake Michigan, can drive bow into sand too fast to bear off to avoid it...so we have to work with what might happen and why the foam idea is a softy, at least to me.
Of course... I agree with you, but we weren't talking about beach cats here. We were talking about these bows on 45-50ft, (15 meter) ocean crossing, performance catamarans.

I had a feeling everyone was picturing different boats when they were replying. I guess you were picturing beach cats when formulating your replies, while I was picturing what I showed in the pictures and videos.

That's why we didn't agree. I suspect that has a lot to do with why there were so many different views.

Everyone was picturing a different boat.
Reply With Quote

  #182  
Old 04-28-2012, 12:38 PM
BobBill's Avatar
BobBill BobBill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Rep: 147 Posts: 581
Location: Minnesotan wakes up daily, in SE MN, a good start, snow or not, in "Gingerville."
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatBuilder View Post
Of course... I agree with you, but we weren't talking about beach cats here. We were talking about these bows on 45-50ft, (15 meter) ocean crossing, performance catamarans.

I had a feeling everyone was picturing different boats when they were replying. I guess you were picturing beach cats when formulating your replies, while I was picturing what I showed in the pictures and videos.

That's why we didn't agree. I suspect that has a lot to do with why there were so many different views.

Everyone was picturing a different boat.
Yes, again I agree, why I added the note some days back about use etc. Race/cruise and so on, vastly different.

No problem. I think those interested get or got the picture. We don't disagree, just have varied views. Beach cats, AC boats, C Cats, Cruisers...and beer haulers like me.
__________________
Leave a place better, including your country!
"All ya gotta know!" Dog. Winona.
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 04-28-2012, 02:05 PM
cavalier mk2 cavalier mk2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Rep: 214 Posts: 1,663
Location: Pacific NW North America
My invention for race cruise reverse bow cruisers is retractable/housing stanchions and pulpits. Carbon of course....Now those with the money can enjoy the best of both worlds, safety on deck at anchor and less drag when pushing the spray envelope. Hardcore racers will want the lighter manual versions, others can be powered by our compressed air system. (lighter than hydraulics and electrics)
Furling bow nets are of course another of the go fast, look slick and party safe features nobody with fashion sense will want to be without......Our dyneema lifelines and custom netting are available in different colours to complement your paint schemes..... these nonpatented inventions are free to use because money should never come between a boater and his vices or devices......Actual production versions made by my yet unbuilt factory will cost lots of investment money deposited into a offshore account....you will have to wait for delivery while I clear the horizon....
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 05-03-2012, 02:19 AM
Corley's Avatar
Corley Corley is offline
epoxy coated
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Rep: 754 Posts: 2,807
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Some photos from Christopher Launay showing Banque Populaire V's bow and hullshapes. Link posted on Sailing Anarchy news page

http://sealaunay.photoshelter.com/ga...00RGQS70oOw9U/
__________________
Multihull Yacht Club of Victoria
http://mycv-news.blogspot.com.au
blog/projects http://trimaranproject.blogspot.com.au/
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 05-03-2012, 02:46 AM
BobBill's Avatar
BobBill BobBill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Rep: 147 Posts: 581
Location: Minnesotan wakes up daily, in SE MN, a good start, snow or not, in "Gingerville."
Corley, amazing stuff, that big bird of a tri. Tough to get my head around it. Looks more involved than designing and constructing a commercial aircraft...


I fail to see why no one has designed a simple, changeable bow boat...should be easy if the bow stem is designed to handle. A set of slides, moveable plate to which the bow material is attached...seems easy.
__________________
Leave a place better, including your country!
"All ya gotta know!" Dog. Winona.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 05-03-2012, 06:30 AM
waikikin's Avatar
waikikin waikikin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Rep: 838 Posts: 1,773
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBill View Post
Corley, amazing stuff, that big bird of a tri. Tough to get my head around it. Looks more involved than designing and constructing a commercial aircraft...


I fail to see why no one has designed a simple, changeable bow boat...should be easy if the bow stem is designed to handle. A set of slides, moveable plate to which the bow material is attached...seems easy.
Great idea A yearly fashion update, add-ons for the sterns too or offer the option as spares... for when the bow gets bruised or scratched... & a reconditioning service..... fender bows.. for touch parking & wharf pickups...... payment plans.... buy one now.. the other later... run out sales BOGOFree
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 05-03-2012, 06:46 AM
BobBill's Avatar
BobBill BobBill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Rep: 147 Posts: 581
Location: Minnesotan wakes up daily, in SE MN, a good start, snow or not, in "Gingerville."
Yep, why not?

Or, configure for the water, have a few wood bows around to add on as required...really, would work, if it did not alter one-design loa/lwl limits where required. Instead of deer heads along garage, bows. (I live in Minnesota, USA.)
__________________
Leave a place better, including your country!
"All ya gotta know!" Dog. Winona.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 AM
CatBuilder CatBuilder is offline
Previous Member
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBill View Post
Yep, why not?

Or, configure for the water, have a few wood bows around to add on as required...really, would work, if it did not alter one-design loa/lwl limits where required. Instead of deer heads along garage, bows. (I live in Minnesota, USA.)
We'll make the Fisher Snowplow add on bow for MN. Good idea, though.
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 05-03-2012, 06:55 AM
waikikin's Avatar
waikikin waikikin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Rep: 838 Posts: 1,773
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBill View Post
Yep, why not?

Or, configure for the water, have a few wood bows around to add on as required...really, would work, if it did not alter one-design loa/lwl limits where required. Instead of deer heads along garage, bows. (I live in Minnesota, USA.)
I,m right there with you, even just sell bows for like famous sailors/designers to sign & wall hang em, pay extra for AC collector bow/s & more for classic collision bows, options for clear coated carbon etc etc.......
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 05-03-2012, 10:19 AM
cavalier mk2 cavalier mk2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Rep: 214 Posts: 1,663
Location: Pacific NW North America
I had inflatable replaceable bows on another thread. I wonder what has the most sex appeal for the advertisers- the blow up or strap on......
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Corley's Avatar
Corley Corley is offline
epoxy coated
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Rep: 754 Posts: 2,807
Location: Melbourne, Australia
A natural bow shape will evolve from the projection of the hull lines as catsketcher has mentioned. If you look at BPV's floats you get a good idea of a clean fair line developing the shape they actually remind me (vaguelly)of an evolved version of Lock Crowthers trimaran float bulb bows. You can do this with a few battens to try and develop the block to fit into the shape thats natural, fair and looks good. Looking at Mojo's bow front view in multihull world I agree that the hull looks a bit "forced" into shape.
__________________
Multihull Yacht Club of Victoria
http://mycv-news.blogspot.com.au
blog/projects http://trimaranproject.blogspot.com.au/
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 PM
waikikin's Avatar
waikikin waikikin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Rep: 838 Posts: 1,773
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
A natural bow shape will evolve from the projection of the hull lines as catsketcher has mentioned. If you look at BPV's floats you get a good idea of a clean fair line developing the shape they actually remind me (vaguelly)of an evolved version of Lock Crowthers trimaran float bulb bows. You can do this with a few battens to try and develop the block to fit into the shape thats natural, fair and looks good. Looking at Mojo's bow front view in multihull world I agree that the hull looks a bit "forced" into shape.
Your right on the Mojo bow looking a bit forced, but overall it looks kinda groovy with the styling relief aft. So far as "optional" bow shapes I think the market would be quite "thin" but a bit of fun to discuss. Regards from Jeff.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 02-05-2015, 04:06 PM
W17 designer W17 designer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Rep: 17 Posts: 75
Location: Vermont, VT
I know this thread has been dead for a while - but perhaps some are still checking it out.
If so, you might be interested in these Reverse Bows - Pros and Cons that I've laid out with some examples. Although written a while back, so far, I've seen nothing to significantly change my opinion. Time will tell.
http://smalltridesign.com/Trimaran-A...verse-bow.html
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 02-05-2015, 04:21 PM
BobBill's Avatar
BobBill BobBill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Rep: 147 Posts: 581
Location: Minnesotan wakes up daily, in SE MN, a good start, snow or not, in "Gingerville."
Quote:
Originally Posted by W17 designer View Post
I know this thread has been dead for a while - but perhaps some are still checking it out.
If so, you might be interested in these Reverse Bows - Pros and Cons that I've laid out with some examples. Although written a while back, so far, I've seen nothing to significantly change my opinion. Time will tell.
http://smalltridesign.com/Trimaran-A...verse-bow.html
I had thought about doing them with the outrigger, but no. Not a racer and do not want the added spray...booze cruisin' need to keep it conventional also, with some spray rails that would defeat purpose...

I like 'em but not this project. And this stuff never gets old, to me.
__________________
Leave a place better, including your country!
"All ya gotta know!" Dog. Winona.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 02-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Doug Lord's Avatar
Doug Lord Doug Lord is offline
Flight Ready
 
Join Date: May 2009
Rep: 1282 Posts: 11,037
Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida
The class with the widest experience in the use of "reverse bows" is the A Class Cat and the bow doesn't cause a pitchpole. The biggest story in the A Class, to me, is how the use of daggerboard lifting foils and rudder t-foils have dramatically reduced the tendency to pitchpole.
It seems to me that a boat with any kind of bow and low freeboard could be at risk because the deck is much closer to the surface. And after a pitchpole is already underway the deck seals the deal by acting like a hydrofoil creating huge downforce.
Any powerful raceboat -with or without foils-can and does pitchpole if it is not handled expertly. Foils have proven to make boats that used to frequently pitchpole do so far less.
If you want to blame some part of the boat rather than handling blame low freeboard and the effect that allows the deck to have when the bow goes too far under.
__________________
yes, it is a Revolution
Fire Arrow foiling: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6S...2uZ91lqt7ObyIw
My Gallery: http://www.boatdesign.net/gallery/sh...0&ppuser=31218
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Ad

 
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wave piercing experience gonzo Boat Design 11 02-21-2011
06:23 PM 
wave piercing and deep v gtflash Boat Design 7 01-03-2010
04:04 PM 
wave piercing trimarans design bhk Boat Design 4 07-29-2008
03:28 PM 
Wave Piercing Post We're Here Powerboats 2 08-09-2007
05:32 PM 
Wave Piercing boat Design Bali Dream Boat Design 5 09-01-2006
08:34 AM 


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Web Site Design and Content Copyright ©1999 - 2015 Boat Design Net