twiggy drawings

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by warwick, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===========
    The Twiggy design looks like it would have benefited enormously from curved lifting foils(or "L" foils) just forward of the main beam-what do you think, Gary?

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Phil,

I searched for Troy Munnery, another thread took me to Boden Boat Designs, but there was no trimaran.
    Can you provide a link or website?

3. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Doug,

Everything would have benefited from lifting foils

Perhaps you could suggest DSS and lifting foils for Scamp at different wind speeds.

You might even be right, but...

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===============
    My thinking is that the old design could have a second life using foil technology that would be likely to get rid of many of the bad attributes of low buoyancy amas.

5. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Perhaps the obvious idea of increasing the size of the ama and/or shifting it farther fwd, ala Malcom Tennant would work with less concern?
    I just get a little concerned with the one size fits all solution - stick another foil on.

6. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Thanks Tad the articles were use full in understanding the boat. I had only briefly seen the plumb bow version, I may have seen the other drawings in the past. Cathy covered the capsize in her book. there are photos of twiggy upside down and being righted.

7. warwick

warwick Senior Member

I had thought would a float revision similar to demon tricycle and wild thing, would have worked out. Or would it still need more buoyancy forward.

As to adding foils Gary has already replied to that aspect earlier in the thread.

Hope fully this may give new life to the design.

8. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Hi Phil, do you have any more info on the Munnery Tri? Also be interested if you had any idea how many Mk 2 Twiggys were built - all the ones I've ever seen on-line have the raked bows indicative of the Mk1.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==================
    Sorry, I missed this. I couldn't agree more!

10. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Troy Munnery

I have Troy's email here.

boden.boatplans@gmail.com

He seems like a nice guy. His little tri was like a little Verbatim Bullfrog thing that blasted around in the late 80s. A great daysailer. A great project for someone who wants to fang.

As for Mk 2 Twiggys there were two in Australia - one from France popped up on this forum a few years ago. The two Aussies ones were Spirit and Arc of Infinity. Was on Arc about two months ago and it is getting a facelift - nice boat but needs new rigging and sails. Spirit was owned by a mate. He sailed it north and sold it. If you look in the Crowther catalogue the Twiggy shown is Spirit - it has the giveaway foil thing on the bow - gotta love that thing Doug! Spirit had the old Twiggy beams with underwire - Arc had foam beams with no underwire. Arc now has a stern cabin on. I put a stern cabin on my Twiggy and Glen the once owner of Arc made a bigger one for Arc.

There was a Twiggy Mk1.5 called Omni. She was foam - super light and had rounded bottom floats with conventional bows. Only saw her a few times and haven't ever seen her since 1990. There was even an aluminium Twiggy as well. A guy called David Drew even built a Mk 1 Twiggy with a double diagonal bottom in round bilge.

cheers

Phil

11. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

A very large proportion of the Aussie sailing media around that time had fairly strong multi backgrounds, such as the publisher of Australian Sailing, the advertising manager of Modern Boating, etc. The beach cat boom meant that a very high proportion of advertising revenue came from the multi sector. Around that time, a commodore of the CYCA was chartering Shotover and a former Piver agent was a director of the club. The owner of the Piver from the '66 Hobart had recently finished running the AYF, I think. So the number of influential people with multi interest was probably higher than the proportion of actual multi sailors in the sport as a whole.

I think the second article I ever had published was my piece on the Twiggy design, and there was no anti-multi bias from my publisher. The only significant bias came from Cat Sailor and Multihulls Magazine!

12. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Around that period I think we( New Zealand ) may have been getting Cat sailor and Australian Sailing as well as modern boating.

So it might be my clouded memory due to time. As I was not getting any boating magazines during the nineties early 2000s. I started buying multihull world from issue 64 on, approx 2004.

13. rogerf

rogerf Junior Member

I have a Twiggy and it is a great boat - it will teach you to sail. Thanks for the pics Tad - I can confirm that my boat sits to these lines. Twiggys are very sensitive to weight and others that I have seen tend to be bow down.

Once you figure that the rudder is a trim tab and the main does a lot of the steering life gets easier. When I first sailed it tacking was an unhappy event, now we can tack as fast as a keelboat.

The much analysed capsize back in the RBR was due primarily to the now obsolete sailing practice of sailing dead down wind. I have 3 asymetric spinnakers and off the wind the boat just powers without ever looking like burying a bow.

Last Saturday in light winds we took off from a fleet of monohulls (etchells etc) with only a corsair dash 750 for competition. By the downwind mark we had an impressive lead on the dash which I thought we would lose as I was only running with the #1 and the dash had their kite up. However by tacking downwind we were able to prevent them closing the gap and the work to the finish line had us outpointing and outsailing them.

The week before on a handicap start we caught the leader by the halfway mark - a J24 with a 50 minute lead on us.

With good gear and good sails the Twiggy makes for an excellent all weather seaboat however I wouldnt pick it for cruising.

14. rogerf

rogerf Junior Member

Gday phil

I also had a look at the Ark; to my eye the mast and rig is very heavy with large SS mast cap with all the works plus it does not rotate. Also the dodger means that the headsail track is set wide limiting windward work.

To my eye there just seem to be a lot of SS addons to make the vessel compelling. Board and rudder need to be exact to induce lift/reduce drag. It will be interesting to see how she goes once she is back in the water.

15. triple jim

triple jim Junior Member

Hi Tad,

For some reason, I get the first page of the article fuzzy and scrambled. Could be my computer...

Sailing a Mk1 Twiggy, I'm keen to get the whole text...

Would you mind re- scan / re-post the page or send it to me in MP ?

Thanks in advance

Jean Marc

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.