TWA vs. AWA

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rapscallion, Jul 7, 2012.

1. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

I was hoping to get some advice on multihull sailing.. I have been racing monos for a while, so I thought stepping into a multi would be easy.. Multi sailing is great fun, but requires a new set of skills.. One thing I'm having a trouble with is telling where the wind is coming from.. If I'm going dowmwind at 14 knots in a 10 knot breeze my apparent wind angle is very different from my true wind angle... This makes calling laylines harder than they were in a monohull.. How do multi guys compensate for this?

2. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

I get the wind direction by watching the effects of the wind on the water. The waves and ripples will tell you where it is coming from. Learning your boat's polar performance curve will help you determine the most effective upwind and downwind tacking angles.

1 person likes this.
  3. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Excellent! Back to basics. Well done.

4. edvb

edvb Junior Member

Yes same here. I lost my daggerboard a few weeks ago and was able to repair a shorter one to work with my layout. I felt that with my compass and knotmeter I was able to determine a 80 degree tacking angle when slightly pinched. Not good but not bad for an outrigger sailing canoe. I was able to go in circles around most monohulls so it seems the length of the daggerboard is pretty close. Sometimes it is just the seat by my pants approach but with a couple of devices can make it much more accurate.

5. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

A masthead wind indicator is a "must have" piece of equipment.
    It tells you where the true wind is coming from when you are hove to, or pointing up into the wind.
    At all other times it tells you the apparant wind.
    After some practice it tells you when you are sailing at your best angle to windward.

6. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Thanks Rhough....The basics are where to start.....Marples has a beercan masthead wind indicator plan Paddy. The fun is in emptying the can!

7. edvb

edvb Junior Member

He has a masthead float that works fine as a masthead wind indicator.

8. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

I like Cavs best. ----Hic:

9. rapscallion

rapscallion Senior Member

Gonna work on downwind polars today. I raced yesterday, and it appeared the downwind gybing angles are close to the upwind tacking angles in medium air. Heavy air the angles get deeper. using a compass and knotmeter to figure out where the wind is.... Is a new concept for me... It is a fun problem to have :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.