Turning a Tornado into a tri?

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by SpiritWolf15x, Apr 22, 2010.

1. SpiritWolf15x

SpiritWolf15x Senior Member

It was an idea my late father tossed around for our fiber glass tornado. building a 25 foot main hull roughly based off a Kraken 25 and using the tornado hulls as amas using 20' aluminum tubes as crossbeams. Topping it off with a 38' racing rig. He figured the entire contraption would weigh less than 1000 lbs.

Just wondering if anyone has actually done something similar.

For the record, I am aware of the existence of the Tremolino, seeing one at our club's yearly get together is what spawned the idea in the first place.

Thanks.

2. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

3. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

While these aren't actually Tornado hulls, a similar idea was hatched by Paul Bieker and Russell Brown and they called it the Trinado. The hulls are somewhat similar to the Tornado, but are drawn specifically for the boat by Nigel Irens.

http://www.biekerboats.com/Bieker_Boats/Trinado.html

Attached Files:

4. aussiebushman

aussiebushman Innovator

Look at the Trinardo at http://www.trinardo.com/- precisely what you have in mind. I'm building one now using A Class hulls, rig and trailer.

Regards

Alan

5. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

By the Messiah and Saint George Chris, I do believe you found another planing trimaran here - look at the main hull, planing without a doubt .... just ignore the displacement rooster tail behind the ama .... what's a small detail like that to those who knowwwww!.

6. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Yes, it appears so. Problem is, that two highly respected builder/designers like Bieker and Brown have not claimed that they planed the boat... so, it didn't happen.

Maybe there's hope in trimaranville after all.

We now resume our local programming.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.