Tristar 36' hull

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by rberrey, Aug 21, 2011.

1. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

As the inside skin on a wing bunk it really took out panel flex from the occupant, sort of a suspension bridge. Your layup does sound well sealed, I thought it was your outer layer.

2. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

Did you do the whole wing bunk or just tape it? Rick

3. cavalier mk2

The whole thing. It made it stiff enough to avoid using another panel on top plus helps with any wave impacts.

4. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

The owner has sent me an email with his phone number, I,ll call him tomorrow. I am going to call Ed and ask if he knows any thing about the build and go from there. I,ts not foam with a flare, but I would be foolish not to go look at it. If anyone else has any interest in it let me know. Rick

5. cavalier mk2

The 36 hull is going to look like a cavern compared to the 31 even without the flare. Putting in the interior alone takes plenty of time without having to build hulls. I'm still rattling around in the Vagabond after starting in the late spring. Should be quieter without the flare, a regular wing will pick up the occasional slap, anything lower is more frequent. Good luck and have fun regardless, take your time.

6. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I talked to Ed, he said to go look at it ,take pictures and get back with him. He dosent know anything about the build or remember selling to anyone in that area. I forgot to talk to him about about your request Cav, I will do it when I talk to him again. You might try buying a set of plans and pick his brain. Rick

7. cavalier mk2

I'm trying to get him to talk to everybody. I like the small 23/25 and think the cats are a great value but am really happy with the Nicol for a big tri. I'll try to get Jim Brown to call him. I talked With him for quite awhile a few years ago and enjoyed the conversation. He can quickly get to the crucial points of a matter.

8. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I talked to the man about the hull, he dosnt know how old it is, it was left there by the man who sold him the house. Someone bought the boat from the prior owner , left earnst money and took the plans, so no plans. He did say there are epoxy containers left in the shed , and he was told that marine ply was used, so depending on workmanship it might be a good hull. It is 8 miles from the river, my brother inlaw was a cop in that town so I think I would be able to get it to the river without cutting it up. Our tug captain said three day float down river , then about 1.5 mi to a new build site. Cost will be getting the hull to the river and paying my nephew to bring it down. The question is if its a good hull how much do I pay for it ? Rick

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Cost of materials sounds reasonable, $5000? It's $5000 dollars they would not have otherwise and 15k was certainly way too high particularly considering the logistics of removing the boat.

10. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I will lose at least half that much trying to sell material on hand for the 31 that I wont use. Another $700.00 for new plans and most likely a $500 loss, cost of the 31 plans. Transportation cost that I would,nt incure maybe $2000.00 + or -. So we have
    $2000 trans
    +$2500 material loss
    + $700 new plans
    + $500 old plans
    Give him another $5000.00 that makes $10,700 for a hull I,m not sure of, that I,ll need to stack another 50k on to complete. With another $5000 est, I can add to material on hand and have enough to build a 36 , buy new plans for $700 and theres my $5700. Maybe PAR is right and he needs to pay me to haul it off. He wont be out of pocket and his life will be better for it , his wife said she wants it gone.

11. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Well Happy wife happy life never was a more true word spoken. You may yet be called in to take the boat away for nothing. I'm into the insanity of home boat building so I'd just build what I started on if you have any doubts.

12. cavalier mk2

Honestly 50K to finish out? You should be sailing for far less than that but need to buy used, etc...Never hurts to start low, you could take off one of Corely's zeros...... I'd still attach a outboard and skip the tug but I'm okay with locks and the adventure. You'd need a temp construction ply deck and friends for fenders and lines. But then a stressful trip might can delay building while you recover.

13. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

No tug Cav, we have one large tug and several small one,s but even one of the small ones would cost too much to run that far up river and back again. We have one old tug captain who works for us , he knows the river and locks like the back of his hand. When I first looked at the boat on ebay I talked with him on wether he thought bringing it down river was do able.If I bring it down river it will be with an outboard. Finishing cost. Alum mast 2 years ago $6700 est without shipping, for sails I have $8000 to start, new 14hp diesel for the 31 $6200, will need 21hp on a 36, have $10,000 budget for diesel, shaft , prop, tanks exc. Thats half of the fifty already without, paint, portlights, hatches, rigging, winches , stove ,exc. The 36 should be about 40% more vol than the 31, I plan on haveing 50k +or- in the 31, the 36 would have to run another 10k to 15k. Rick

14. cavalier mk2

Sounds like you know what you want Rick. I run a 37' tri on a yamaha 10 and can cruise loaded at 6 knots and still make good headway into a wind and sea. We sail almost all the time-even drift waiting for zephers so the outboard makes sense for us. I'd think about pushing it down with a runabout lashed to the stern, you won't believe how easy these things move unless a barge is used to keep things dry. You might check Vessel Assist in your area for tow rates. While figuring out preliminary logistics is essential seeing the boat before final calculations can save time. Surprises there can be good or bad, if its a clunker you won't feel you've wasted too much time etc....

15. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I,ll look at the hull before I do much more pre planning, also post pics here as well as sending them to Mr. Horstman. I am shopping around on craigslist and ebay Cav,I got 6 old but unused #10 andersen winches for $50 bucks each so I,m chipping away at that $50,000 mark. I decided not to put any used structural items in the build, I will save some money by stocking it with used items.The out board is the cheaper way to go , but Ed makes a good arguement for a small diesel. Rick