Trimarans 30' to 50'

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The Tony Grainger designed trimaran Ocean Emu has a bit of a chequered history losing a float at one stage and being rescued by John Cadwallader with 44 gallon drums under the beam stubs and repaired. Since then she has had another rebuild at Ashby Boatbuilders where they did some major structural and cosmetic work as well as painting the boat green.

Attached Files:

2. Barra

Barra Junior Member

ocean emu.

Yes I watched it race around Darwin Harbour before the Ambon race (i think).
    It certainly looked great. Rod richards on his 40' tri (the one before verbatum/australia child) Nicol maybe? was also there.

Sadly it actually had two major structural failures. A float fell off in the Gulf of capentaria whilst being delivered after the race and was rebuilt. It then had the major failure in Bass Strait and was abandoned. Not sure how many floats were still attached when recovered in Queensland.

Rebuilt and then by the looks was rebuilt again. See..http://www.whitsundaytimes.com.au/news/yacht-does-lazarus-to-enter-hamo-race-week/2533164/

After pressure on "sailing anarchy" Tony sort of updated his web site to acknowledge the two failures.:p

Pretty chequered history for a performance cruiser racer built in 88? A great looking boat though from what I remember in its purple paintjob.

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Attached Files:

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Wings of Fantasy, The lovely trimaran built by Chris and Jenny Smith. It's a modified Buccaneer, they cruised around Australia in her with their young girls. Sadly Chris passed away a few years ago, I had the pleasure of meeting Jenny down in Launceston. She wrote a book about their trip called "On wings of Fantasy" it's a good read if you can find a copy. Photo thanks to Craig Jayvee.

Attached Files:

5. jamez

jamez Senior Member

6. jamez

jamez Senior Member

From a cruising perspective I like the 'Saloon' main cabin style of White Wings and the Hammerhead 34.

Attached Files:

7. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

9. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Very cool to see a 'Bullfrog' Crowther 40 in the Coastal Classic. Ave Gitana.

Attached Files:

10. buzzman

buzzman Senior Member

Somewhere else I posted on here I had a set of Farrier Command 10 plans digitised, but do you think I can find the thread...???

OK< so it's an older design, but it was desinged as either fixed beam or folder, and predated the F31 referred to earlier in the thread....

Anyone interested in the Command 10 send me a PM.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.