Trimaran project

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by davidcarey35, May 30, 2015.

1. davidcarey35

davidcarey35 Junior Member

Hello . I am at the stage where I am seriously in need of a project and more seriously in need of good advice , so here I am in the place most suitable for getting good advice .
    I have decided on a Trimaran , canoe type at 24 ft but not much less preferably a canoe stern . It is not going to be a racing boat , but speeds between 5 and 15 mph should be the range I would anticipate . Ply construction ,probably will not need to trailer or fold the floats . I have looked at what is available , in particular the Wa apa and Tamanu ( Possibly it could be stretched to 24 ft ? ) from Gary Dierking , both of which I like . I am looking for alternatives to a flat bottom which I would be less than happy with for coastal trips . I have to state here and now that looks are important , pleasing lines But the boat has to be fit for the purpose . I have looked at the boats designed by Frank Smoot but am not happy with the stern design . Maximum payload I would like is 4 adults plus me .
    I have also been looking at the KIR 8A which seems to fit the bill in many respects , I cannot though find any photos of completed boats . The closest is the KIR2 http://www.tacking-outrigger.com/robert_gillet.html built 25 years ago and apparently still going strong . I am led to believe from what scant information there is about the boats , that few have been constructed for pleasure use which surprises me greatly . From the article regarding this boat it averaged 11.7 knots over 4.3 miles although this particular boat was constructed of foam core . The original design showed 6.5 mm for the sides 9 mm for the bottom ( it was designed as a working boat ) and using battens ( now i think fillets would be used and 6mm ply ) which is probably why some have criticised it for being too heavy 515 kg DWL . Any thoughts please .

2. davidcarey35

Questions that I have are
    Is this design good , if not Why not ?
    Are there better designs for my requirements ? ( baring in mind I am looking for a budget , Non racing trimaran preferably not a flat bottom )
    Why have few been built ?
    Would it be possible to build without a frame , plans would need to be professionally adapted i think ?

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Personally I like the Discovery 20 it has canoe sterned floats but comes to a transom on the main hull, you could extend the lines and carry it through to a canoe stern on the main hull if you wanted I'm sure. Otherwise it meets your description with seating for four in a comfortable cockpit and folds for easy trailer transport.

http://www.chriswhitedesigns.com/trimarans/discovery_20/

4. davidcarey35

Corley thank you for the reply . I think I am looking for something more basic and cheap

5. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Have you looked at the Marples Seaclippers? Not needing to trailer opens up many older ply designs then there are demountables like the Searunner 25. Thomas Firth Jones' Hummingbird also comes to mind, his widow may still offer plans.

6. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

What about the Chesapeake Light Craft Proas ?

7. davidcarey35

redreuben , I want a tri not a proa , but that W 17 that Chesapeake has is nice though a little too short .

8. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Well your links showed tacking outriggers. Ok How about the Bucc 24 without the cabin ?

Attached Files:

9. davidcarey35

redreuben . I see what you mean , but my first post stated Trimaran . The Bucc 24 without cabin is nice , but I think that the construction is not so simple . What would the length to beam ratio of the main hull be ? Looks fairly wide .

10. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Look in the Bucc 24 thread, plenty of info. Construction is about as simple as it gets.

11. oldsailor

oldsailor Junior Member

Yes I agree with RR.
    Take the trouble to read right through the Buccaneer 24 Builders thread.
    The buccaneer 24 was expressly designed by Lock Crowther as a simple to build pocket cruiser. :D

12. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Seems like a tent or folding top for a open Bucc 24 would be a really versatile boat. Sleep on the nets for hammocks? I like the idea of a folding spray shield.

13. davidcarey35

" baring in mind I am looking for a budget , Non racing trimaran preferably not a flat bottom " . The Bucc 24 , while being nice and apparently well thought of , is not going to be a budget build especially the mast , sails and rig . It seems heavy , hard to drag onto a beach I would think . Maybe my usage of the term "trimaran" was wrong ( though technically correct ) . Maybe I should have titled the post double outrigger canoe ?
    Something along the lines of the Wa Apa ( Gary Dierking ) , though with a V bottom , which is why I have been looking at the KIR series . Maybe its a silly fixation of mine with a v bottom , but they dont seem to have boards or even lee boards on the plans .

14. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Then it probably will not go to weather well.

You can always find people who are satisfied with poor tacking, until they get consistently blown away when they want to sail with others.

15. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

Trying to be constructive here. You say you want cheap. Then you say you want "beach ability" but then you said that the W17 from Mike Waters (clc resells) is too small? May I ask if you have ever drug a boat on a beach before? My old hobie 14 was a little tough dragging along the beach and it made me long for beach dollies and that was a small boat!

So I'm thinking 18-20ft, double outrigger canoe. Good luck beaching. Period.

I sailed against Dan who posts on here from time to time in the texas200. He was on a double tamanu (modified dierking design) and it took 2 people, sometimes more, to drag her up a beach. If I remember the trip right, it was mostly 4 guys beaching that thing.

And cheap? Dude nothing about multis is cheap unless you want a total monstrosity like the one guy trying to convert an old powerboat into a tri. Horrendous.

Cheap = an old Catalina 22 or smiliar mono. In need of tlc on a trailer all day for $1400-$1700 around here.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.