Trimaran Folding Hulls Public Invention Disclosure

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by DouglasEagleson, Feb 28, 2016.

1. DouglasEagleson

DouglasEagleson Junior Member

I am to busy to properly filing a patent application. So here is a disclosure that allows all the public to use it. Even I get use protection.

With a 30 foot center hull of a trimaran there exists an average draft of maybe three feet.

The outhulls can be width and depth sized to flood and store beneath the centerhull. The pivot fitting secures a beam that terminates at the opposite side of the centerhull. The beam is bolted as required.

#####@pivot bolt hinge
    ####
    ##Center hull
    *****underwater flooded outhull

The target is to allow a six foot folded draft for dock maneuvering. And a three foot draft when unfolded and bolted in place.

A variety of concepts such as power driven folding, safety switches, quick fittings are implied. Quick pump flooding an unflooding.

The center board housing in the outhulls would not interfere with the folding function.

douglaseagleson.blogspot.com will be updated soon.

Thanks Dooug

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Where is the disclosure?

3. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Don't disclose anything until you submit the patent application and it has been accepted.

There is nothing above that makes sense to me.
    Why would you want a 6' draft?
    By draft do you mean the depth of the hull in the water?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I doesn't make sense to file a patent application and then saying that the "disclosure allows all the public to use it".

5. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Is there anything in that post that made sense?
    I don't expect it to get any better.

6. jamez

jamez Senior Member

No there wasn't and no it won't. 'Outhulls'? FFS.

7. DouglasEagleson

response

The disclosure is recorded in the forum. A public access file.

8. DouglasEagleson

response

I do not desire to file for a patent to make the disclosure. I am using the realm of public record as the reference of inventor identification.

I will get my blog up dated. My figure stinks.

9. DouglasEagleson

response

What is the question of the term "outhulls"?

10. DouglasEagleson

Public Invention Disclosure of Folding Trimaran boat by Douglas Eagleson Inventor

Inventor: Douglas Miller Eagleson
    217 East Deer Park Dr
    Gaithersburg, MD
    301-977-0832

The beam of Trimaran hulled boats are usually far wider than a normal monohulls. The stability of the whole craft is caused by the outrigger hulls. Designs to allow folding craft that fit into normal marina slips exist. They employ a beam that retracts and pulls the outrigger hulls close to the center main hull with these hulls staying above the surface of the water. As detailed in the drawings this invention floods the outrigger hulls to cause them to stow underwater. The pivots of the main hull connection bolts can be a location smaller than the full beam of the craft. Allowing no extra beam added at all. The slowly reducing main hull beam as the rear or the stern are reached maintains the maximum beam as amidships. The main beam strut has pivot bolts.

Here are some drawings at http://douglaseagleson.blogspot.com

11. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

So tell us about the designers shoulders you stood upon that led you to the genius of this work. I mean what was your inspiration?
    Clearly you are taking this discipline to a new realm and we would like to discover how you came to leap to a new technological heights?

12. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

This looks a lot like an early piver, but he raised the mainhull on a trailer before he folded the hulls in.

If you do this on the water, you will have to take the mast down first. Even then I expect the boat to roll over at the dock. It won't sit upright. You won't be able to be on the boat to fold up the ama (outerhull).

Why do you want to reduce the beam to such an extreme width? There is not actual reason to do this, and you then will have to pump out the ama. That's going to take a lot of time. Now the inside of the ama is wet - just what everyone else in the world doesn't want to happen.
    You are also limiting the maximum beam severely, limiting the ability to carry sail.

Can you describe why you chose this configuration?

13. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

I know a little about patents and I don't see how this one can fly. Before you are given a patent you have to search through prior art to see if the invention is new - novel. As has been stated above the idea is old - really old. Piver Nuggets used this system to fold back in 1963.

I can see an examiner coming across the Piver system in their prior art search. So I am guessing that you won't be granted a patent on this. Hey I am not patent assessor but the idea is not novel.

Sorry if we burst your balloon. Inventing folding multihulls is a silly thing to do anyway. I have tried to do it for about 15 years and wish I hadn't

cheers

Phil

14. DouglasEagleson

coment

It is not a Piver System. The concept of calling fold as a patent is dearly mistaken.

If the idea was existing you would be seeing these types exist now. Idiots who reply without concern for usable advice self identify themselves. Fitting a 30 foot long true width trimaran in a regular dock slip is a HUGE advance in tri-design.

The fold. So learn patent class theory.

15. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Whoa, hold your horses with name calling. Your system is not different enough from a 50 year old Piver. Maybe you should do some research on previous art first.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.