Trimaran Folding Hulls Public Invention Disclosure

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by DouglasEagleson, Feb 28, 2016.

1. DouglasEagleson

DouglasEagleson Junior Member

invention public disclosure- multihull water ballasting

Why can you not react. The concept of a Piver folder is not this design. Mine is unique. Self stowing in the water is my invention. You need to pump water in and pump water out.

This is a clear new class of tri-design. "different enough" comments are unnecessary.

My design is out and free for all to use. When I say that a 30 foot length is optimal it is because the width fits. It opens to the correct length to width ratio. And the draft is normal.

If I say use the water pumps to fill the upwind hull while sailing it is another invention public disclosure of mine. Water ballasting of trimarans and catamarans works fine. So use it.

2. DouglasEagleson

coment

I forgot to reply concerning stability while stowed.
    The mass of the hulls when stowed will cause a stability sufficient for motoring.

The design would require strength of the outhulls while stowed to allow a normal boatlift to place it on the ground. A sort of self standing affair.

3. Stumble

Stumble Senior Member

I see what Dougles is doing here...

By documenting the invention public ally without protection and specifically declining protection he is establishing a date of publicity. So from here on out no one else can make a patent claim on it.

I am not qualified to determine if this has a commercial application, but the fact it is similar to an old design does nothing to prevent someone else from patenting it. If it does anything different than the old Piver design that in any way makes it more would likely be granted patent protection. That protection could of course be challenged in court, to the tune of a couple hundred thousands of dollars in legal fees.

Instead, the idea is now available for public use by anyone who wants to use it. Unless someone has filed for protection prior to the date of disclosure.

4. waynemarlow

waynemarlow Senior Member

Isnt the reason self explanatory, as to why there are no such boat designs like this out there.

5. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Ideas can not be patented. Only new technology and industrial design can.

6. DGreenwood

DGreenwood Senior Member

And you don't see the so called "dog legs" presenting resistance issues with the progress of a sailing vessel?

7. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Doug, have you considered putting foils in the floats ? ;)

8. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

This is what every one should be compelled to do if they think they have a new and novel idea or process.
    The Patent process is just crazy,find a better way yo reward Research and Development and new Innovation. and get new ideas available to the Public quicker.

9. DouglasEagleson

Concerning the dogleg beams. Absolutely as depicted the doglegs have drag concerns. I did it that way for clarity of the concept. Some type of fairing technique is called for.

10. DouglasEagleson

concerning adding foils. A racer center hull would be a lightweight design. Not good for cruising, but great for the Americas cup.

A pair of upsidedown tee foils for the centerhull. The concept is to retract the foils for light wind.

What to use, a catamaran or trimaran for ultimate racing? A flying upwind hull with no foils is the correct catamaran design. Wasting drag to lift.

The question is how to win in light wings? A naked frame hull with foils will not be acceptable. It has to carry a huge mast and sails. ergo a displacement hull.

So I ramble here. Getting the center hull of a trimaran to fly is a good research concept.

11. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

so I'm guessing for the submersible ama part? dunking ama isn't a wise long term plan on many fronts, rot, damage, weight gains, on and on. Oh sloppy handling in port with extra things dangling!

Barry

12. CT 249

CT 249 Senior Member

If you mean a foiling tri, it's not all that good for the America's Cup since it's not allowed to enter the America's Cup.

13. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

The real motivation to public disclosure of inventions is to avoid having trolls try to sue you for your own invention. They will not win but they can cost you plenty. Boat building is generally not profitable enough to support the formal patent process so professionals have resorted to having their own registry to respect. In sailing the best system is to work the IP protection into the one design class rules -and don't push the cost too far. The two examples that I am guided by are the Laser (no license paid despite clear design ownership) and the LEI Leading Edge Inflatable kite -clear first patent and invention is widely disrespected. Both of these cases never paid the inventor/designer the cost of getting the patent or anything to my knowledge. DSS is an interesting case today. Hugh seems to be succeeding by selling to the rich -but what they get is plenty of custom NA work and the brand so the patent is just a demarcation for his peers.

The OP invention does not look very novel or detailed but it serves its purpose -no worries.

The concept itself looks like a crude attempt to do what the Farrier 4 bar mechanism does much better. The Farrier patent has expired so I would urge the original poster to use his superior design -the folding motion is flatter and the end point is near neutral buoyancy so there is no weight to counter balance and no need to flood the floats. Flooding the floats will get nasty over the long term with growth inside the tanks. F-boat owners rarely docked their boats folded for the simple reason they did not like having to clean growth off the topsides of their amas.

14. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

They can sue you anyway. You still have to prove that the invention was yours and you didn't steal it and publish it.
    I wonder how it will be to sail on a boat with barnacles covering the deck of the amas and the beams ;)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.