trimaran floats keels

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by jose car, Sep 13, 2014.

1. jose car

jose car Junior Member

hi everyone need a little help here and some opinion i got a derek kelsall k39 i currently modernizing this trimaran including swing floats so it wont take much space in the mooring my question is there are some substantial keels on the floats witch i would like to remove i would that affect the sailing iv notice a lot of the trimaran haven't got em still keeping the dager board some opinions will be appreciated thanks

Attached Files:

2. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I assume the keels are only there to keep the boat upright when dried out
    So no problem removing them, assuming you have a mainhull daggerboard

David Bains of Aquablue had one of the first K39's you may want to contact him. John Shuttleworth also had one. I've been on both their boats.

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

3. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

I imagine they also do a little bit to reducing leeway, particularly if you ever get the main hull out of the water. If you chop them off, depending on the daggerboard size, it may not matter. Just know you're probably going to lose a little bit of pointing ability because of it, but probably not much if the daggerboard is decent sized.

4. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

JFWIW Derek is alive and kicking why wouldn't one ask the designer?

5. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

rcnesneg.
    Would like to see pics or three views of your 16ft Tri. :)

6. Marmoset

Marmoset Senior Member

Where's the boat? I see 2 orcas eating at a taco stand!

Couldn't resist!

Barry

7. jose car

jose car Junior Member

hi thanks all for your comments the dager its not that big probably just around 60 centimetre under water i suppose one can make it longer the reason i was gonna taken them out was first there is some damage to one of them im assuming the previous owner must of hit something as there is a bit of water coming in to the float so maybe some crack by the keel not visible taken them out would sort that out the other reason would be the 40 feet boat and the 37 feet floats will fit in to one lorry trailer for storeage rather then 2 lorry's just didnt want to sacrifice performance to much here is also a picture of the main hull

Attached Files:

8. jamez

jamez Senior Member

One decent sized central dagger would suffice. Float fins (keels) are not that unusual. Lots of older pivers and IIRC Cross designs had them. Eric Lerouge offers them on some of his tris, but probably more cruisey than racy.
    http://www.lerouge-yachts.com/tri_8.htm

9. jose car

jose car Junior Member

hi yes it got a mainhull daggerboard its not very long i think i will increase the length of it to be on the safe side, what sort of performance is expected on this type of boat? i i never sailed this type before many thanks

10. teamvmg

teamvmg Senior Member

How heavy is it?

11. jose car

jose car Junior Member

its around 4.5 to 5 ton

12. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Leeway and lift are not the same thing. You might find removing the ama boards improved lift to windward if the dagger has a decent design, or can be amended to have same. Or not, it depends on the actual thing, but I would vote for a daggerboard most days.

13. teamvmg

teamvmg Senior Member

At that weight, I would predict it would sail about the same as an iroquios cat or telstar tri.

If you are adding folding gear it's gonna get heavier too

14. blueskies

blueskies New Member

Derek Kelsall Trimaran

Hello Jose, randomly during a search on Google i found your boat. I thought i may be able to shed some light on the history of your boat, as i used to own it. It was me that turned the tables on it being scrapped. During the 'sale' i found out all about the boat initial downfall, with the prior owner getting terrible ill from jet washing bird crap off it, it nearly killed him, the boat was just left to defend itself.

I have a hundreds of old pictures from before i bought it to the last day i say it, would be a pleasure to also see what you've done with it.

nick smart 2010 (at) hotmail . co . uk please do send me an email.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.