Trimaran with accomodation in the amas

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by eiasu, Nov 23, 2012.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Eiasu,

We have someone who could take basic numbers of the Atlantic 77 and stretch that form to 107' with an overall beam of about 43. Keep the same cabin length (widened about 8 foot). And maybe add more room in the hulls for crew.

Add 24 feet up front, and 16 feet to the back - I think.

You would increase your weight, but not near as much as you would add buoyancy.

Instead of drawing 10 feet. You would draw less than 6.5 feet ....

You would be much faster, and ride much better.

And if you go to two masts, your crew requirements would not be as demanding.

And sails would be a little less expensive. You might even go to stand alone masts, leaving you the opportunity to upgrade to sails in the future.

Really, really fast.

Think a stubby, and not quite as fast, Oracle .... trimaran inflated into a catamaran cruiser. Without the 10 story mast ....

Maybe Larry Ellison would christen it for you? He would like the name Katana.

2. bregalad

bregalad Senior Member

Budget - what budget.

What is the budget for this thing? Folks are kicking around 80 ... 100 ft custom Tri's.

From a business perspective can you keep this thing booked enough to justify what ... $750K - $1.5 million to build plus operating expenses?

3. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

What budget? I thought we were just trying to determine user needs and wants.

Once that is done, then you whittle down to size.

:)

But, having said that, I would think 'Yes." If you build a great ship when there are so few great ships out there, "Yes, you would keep her booked, if you had solid management." Most of the business perspective boats are just rectangles with sails.

Even the lauded Lagoons look awfully rectangular, beautiful, but rectangular.

Stretch the ship back out to what a ship wants to look like, and get away from the cookie cutter rectangular boxes .... and yes, cost goes up.

Do you think boxy is better looking than slim?

IMHO.

Wayne

4. oceancruiser

oceancruiser Previous Member

5. Steve W

Steve W Senior Member

As i thought.

6. oceancruiser

12 is enough. none in the pontoons - he is going for fast cruiser performance. 8 is ideal right with a single in cockpit.

Makes 9 Tops.

Would be faster on foils.

7. Sand crab

Sand crab Junior Member

8. eiasu

eiasu Junior Member

El_Guero
    the budget e figure out according to what are our wishes,
    and at the moment are not completely clear,
    not at all to be honest!
    :confused::confused::confused:
    But we are aware that a large performance tri with confortable accomodation
    is a big sum

Brown 62, "That", looks nice, but there is something I can't really imagine
    only with numbers: is possible to put in numbers the performance difference
    between - for example - a brown 62 and a trimaran performance oriented
    like this - for example - http://www.multihulldesigns.com/designs_stock/60tri.html.
    It is possible to put in numbers, for example 20% faster, or much more confortable, or ...
    I mean from the layout is soon clear the differences in spaces, but the performance i can imagine but how to have a rough comparison?
    Or maybe that is possible only with a direct experience.

Yes we're sliding out of topic .... what to do, that's a work in progress !! :D:D
    Hope is fine like this :confused:

9. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Seriously, there is a HUGE market for a few custom cruisers/charters.

Those who enter the market with much better, slightly better environment, will dominate the charter market for several years.

Look at how many husband/wife teams there are out there for charter? Look at the jump in price when you go from 50-60 foot cats to new 75-80 foot cats?

I am telling you.

Between 10 and 15 cabins, slightly larger than 'current' standard cabins, with a mix of 'doubles' and 'king size' with a couple of 7 foot ceilings, you will have a full crew ....

You can bring on board a beginning chef to assist the wife, and a second hand to assist the Captain.

Cats are the way to go ..... a tri costs more for the same bang. Cats are stable, and they have a good reputation.

And that center? I can tell you how to make your boat sell herself.

:)

10. Sand crab

Sand crab Junior Member

Did we already mention that big tri doing crewed charters in the Carib or central/so america? It's for sale, btw. There was also another big one called "Beach House". Maybe a Horstman.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

12. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I think the core of the problem for trimaran berths on open net trimarans is safe access to the floats rather than comfort on the larger boats. If you have a closed wing (like a Horstman or the recent Neel trimarans for example) it's easy to implement access through the beam or at least a crawlway. In any sort of sea you would not want to try and access a float hatch to enter the float externally on a normal open wing trimaran it would be unsafe.

13. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Not to mention wet.....The wider you go the more the altitude changes. a wing bunk feels like flying but the ama of a racer would be like stunt flying-20 or 30 feet out from the center of gyration, double if the main hull goes up. Plenty of big power tris and ships now which might be worth looking at to see what works in that field.

14. oceancruiser

Please tell me why you would want access and cross the safety nets which you normally have a safety line as well as being - clipped on with your tether lines for sheeting , when the floats are used four light storage. empty packs, crew gear bags, inflatable and stuff not required on passage underway. You would have sufficent automatic float switch bilge pumps say four each hull with controled three way rocker switches from the main hull in the event - holed - leak also.

15. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

The OP wants a trimaran for charter, not for racing so much.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.