Trailerable catamaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by catsim, Jul 29, 2015.

1. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Actually - cooking, washing etc is fine with sitting headroom IF there is a comfy seat to sit on. Headroom is really only needed to move distances and to put on your pants.

Sure you can get headroom in a cabin but the cabin needs to be about 2.4 metres off the water - bridgedeck clearance of 600 plus 1800mm headroom. You can't put that on a boat that is easy to trail. Few trailer sailers are bigger than 8.5 metres. Get headroom in the hulls if necessary and then sit in the cuddy.

Still this is a massive ask which is why, even though tris are less useful in the accommodation area there are few trailerable cats designs around. Moving big hulls on trailers or sliding beams is really tricky.

Distill your ideas down to only what you really need and start from there.

cheers

Phil

2. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

Have you seen this video? 24ft Strider Club, hulls are 3ft 4in wide, headroom is 4ft 6in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJiw5hI3Xt0

Used daily to cook for three adults for 3 months on our Daysail to Russia trip

And Striders have been fitted with central removable cabins, like here

https://twitter.com/SVMeadowHawk scroll down to the photo on July 27th and here, the last two photos so scroll right down

http://sailingcatamarans.com/index.php/component/content/article/318

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

3. outside the box

outside the box Previous Member

Hi Catsim
    Just for what it is worth you have had some great advise from Phil, Richard and others out there doing it.

Just to add to the mix from our own experience, unless you have a heavy trade motor license and or own your own rig then forget a full headroom bridge deck trailerable Catamaran at 30', if you have the funds to have it professionally freighted then that is another story. The attached photo of the F-39 Trimaran on the road looks big, the 30' Trailerable Catamaran is even larger even at 2.5 x 4.2 x 9.3m on trailer towing width x Height x Length all legal here in New Zealand, there is also a 3.1 x 4.2 x 9.3 version also legal here in NZ with self permitting and towing within certain restrictions as to route time of day and days of year.

Richard Woods has some great designs with numbers on the water and gives good advice.

Len Surtees has a design that has had some extensive testing and now modification as a result of this.

Kurt Hughes Cat to fold tried proven and now has the hulls sailed off it by Brian, there were some short comings with the boat in the early stages when we viewed it being built here in New Zealand and also the initial pond testing but Brian has overcome these and she is a great boat for it's intended purpose, hats off to Kurt and Rafi photo attached shows she is a large tow also but well thought out.

Simpson has a design Fish and Chips from memory, with a bridge tent of quality build it may do what you require perhaps photo's attached?

We have a 30' and 40' in the trailerable bracket that has full standing headroom in hulls and bridge deck. At 30' has 700mm Bridge deck clearance at DWL so in other words these two designs are real full size bridge deck Catamarans. However even with all systems designed to make trailering launching rigging and sailing Ezi we would still suggest these are trailerable not Trailer Sailers. The numbers go up exponentially with size and home comfort requirements hence the good advice you have been offered on here regarding this. Also note these two designs were designed as the founder of Ezifold Yachts LTD own personal boats for a specific SOR it just turned out others shared his design SOR. The design has had in house testing at 20' all working well but we are incorporating a new folding locking system into the beams so as Phil stated design evaluation and refinement is ongoing with complex design solutions to complex SORs.
    Anyway some attachments to show it can be done but at what expense and what real advantage is up to the individual.

We wish you well in finding the solution to your SOR for your future Yacht.

Regards
    Brooke and Team Ezifold

Attached Files:

4. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Fish n Chips is a ray Kendrick design for a demountable 24 footer. The Simpson was called a Takeaway, based on scaled down Backslash hulls. When I enquired about this design about 10 years ago I was told only one had ever been built. Good to see some pics of it.

5. outside the box

Jamez

My apologies, I couldn't remember what Craig said it's name was as he walked out of the office but I did remember a fast food link. We have the original specification sheet also I was told but Craig can find it for me Monday to post

6. jamez

jamez Senior Member

No worries mate, just thought I might save Ray Kendrick a few inquiries for a non existent folding cat :).

Time flies; I just found the study prints I got for the Takeaway back in 2001!! They were available from Boatcraft Pacific at the time. The folding beams are a truss made of welded alloy box section that hinge back on 25mm stainless pins, from a longitudinal support on the centerline. When I tried to find out more detail of the folding system and attachments to the hulls I was told I would have to buy the full plan set. The plans were 2K so I didn't take it any further. Roger Simpson had quit boat design by then and wasn't personally supporting the plans, so he wasn't available to ask. I think its an interesting idea that might work quite well with a composite structure in place of alloy, and maybe a bi-plane rig.

7. aussiebushman

aussiebushman Innovator

Corley is absolutely right. The galley goes into one hull where you have standing headroom and you can prop against one side.. The left hand picture shows one hull where a nav station and seat/narrow bunk can fit. The right picture is the galley with the sink on the outboard side and the stove the other.

Attached Files:

8. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

Have you heard of the MacGregor 36?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There's one at a marina I visit sometimes, and happens to be for sale, as of yesterday. I always wondered what in the world it was until I saw it for sale. (For sale in Utah)

Here's the ad: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=35774702&cat=197&lpid=&search=&ad_cid=2
    I think it needs a bunch of work, and it's mostly in pieces as far as I can tell.

9. outside the box

JFWIW This just came in by email.

To show good detail of the Sango I do not think I have seen better and it is about as good as it gets in the size range.

http://www.multihullworld.com/boatdetails.asp?id=13104

Craig and team Ezifold

10. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

I thought you had serious restrictions on what you can trail in Aus, size wise. It only takes minor changes in policy to really screw up your day with trailerable boats, nobody is giving any thought to what multihullers are doing in drawing up that stuff. That Cat 2 Fold 3 axle would be a huge pain to operate in Ontario, since they changed the rules. Mandatory vehicle and trailer inspections annually. Pushing the envelope on that stuff is just asking to get shut down shortly before the launch date. My next trailerable tri is going to be a lot smaller not bigger.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.