"Traditional" Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by jaxenro, Dec 13, 2009.

1. jaxenro

jaxenro Junior Member

I like the idea of the stability of a trimaran and other benefits but like the looks of Skerry Cruisers and square meter rule yachts, especially the beautiful wood ones like this:

[​IMG]

are there any designs that combine the two? 1930's looks above the waterline in a trimaran? Seems like the narrow hull would be a natural

2. multihullsailor

multihullsailor Junior Member

Here are two pictures of a 56' Shuttleworth trimaran:

Attached Files:

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

I see no reason why such a boat wouldn't work. Actually, I think a modern trimaran hull with '30s topside styling would be a real eye-catcher.... especially when a bit of a breeze comes up and you become the Porsche among a sea of Mack trucks :D

I have not, however, come across anything that looks quite like this.... the '70s had a lot of boxy trimarans, the modern era a lot of spaceship/jellybean hybrids. Time for a custom design, perhaps?

4. jaxenro

jaxenro Junior Member

Alas I have no real design skills that I would trust or money right now for a custom design. I wonder what I could do with photoshop

5. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

bolt 2 skerries together with varnished teak crossbeams, sprinkle some bronze fittings, change to sepia
    bingo

6. jaxenro

jaxenro Junior Member

I like the trimaran idea - was thinking copy the skerry, shrink the hull down, remove the cabin and mast, and paste it back in for a broadside view

The elusive "Herreshoff" Trimaran

[​IMG]

7. BWD

BWD Senior Member

hmmm, saw that, made some fakery for you while tea brewing...

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  8. jaxenro

jaxenro Junior Member

I like that - I tried one more between moving loads of wood

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

i wish i could do what you do, you guys are brilliant

10. jaxenro

jaxenro Junior Member

Obvously no brilliance in cutting up someone elses work and no disresepct to their work intended - just trying to show what I was thinking of

I wish I had the talent to design a boat plus the knowhow. To my understanding it is part mechanics, part science, part mathametics, and part art with a healthy dose of good taste thrown in.

11. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

That`s rather nice guys !:cool:

12. BWD

BWD Senior Member

hmmm, again.
    Mr. Radclyffe I am not completely sure if I detect sarcasm oozing out between the seams of your post, or if you mean you wish you had some facility with computer image software.
    But I have a hunch ;)....
    In any case be assured I wouldn't advocate butchering classic designs or boats into buggered up tri-contraptions.
    But some nice wood visible on a non-primitive multi might be cool!
    Just a picture, styling exercise, ok....

13. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

John Marples CC26 trimaran is a beautiful design. Does not have the extreme overhangs of the boat your posted, but certainly one of the prettiest tri's I've seen IMO. I think duck flat have some pics of it. The plan drawings are so beautiful I have one on hte wall of my lounge room.

14. magwas

magwas Senior Member

I guess Mr Radclydde was not sarcastic. Certainly I am not: I like the imagery you have created. It needs more than software.

I am thinking for a long time about a plywood trimaran somewhere in the 25-35 feet range.
    I would not call it traditional, most importantly because I am not even decided on the main charateristics. Looking at pictures like this - and actual boats - certainly helps the process.

15. jaxenro

jaxenro Junior Member

"I wouldn't advocate butchering classic designs or boats into buggered up tri-contraptions"

Nor would I. I was trying to convey the impression of what I was thinking, not suggest it as an actual design.

A design like this would need to synthesize various traditional and modern design elements into a comprehensive whole. To be designed as a trimaran that pays homage to, not slavishly copies, design elements of the past. Some people like wood boats and wood cabins, some like fiberglass and laminates.

Thomas Jefferson designed a few houses for himself and some friends using many elements and even plans from Adrea Palladio's book, yet he synthesized them with local materials and improvements in methods and adapted them to the time. He understood that the basic principles of harmony and taste translated Yet he also "cut and pasted" at times, juxtaposing various elements and facades straight from the illustrations in front of him. His design for the Virginia state capital is almost a straight copy of a Roman temple modified for new uses.

I don't mind sarcasm directed my way - at least I am provoking a response

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.