TMS-20 Tri update

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by themanshed, Jan 16, 2010.

1. themanshed

themanshed Senior Member

Thought I'd post an update to my project. I have the first half of the main hull fared out. It is Carbon / Foam construction. I'm starting the Port half now then when it is ready I'll join the halves and apply the outside skin. Website link:http://www.themanshed.net/tms-20-trimaran.html

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Really sweet, Mike.

Nice steady progress towards a boat that makes all kinds of sense for fast, stable sailing.

3. themanshed

themanshed Senior Member

Thanks Chris,

Now that my shoulder is healed I'm hoping to pick up the pace some, and the learning curve will not be as steep for the port side.

4. themanshed

themanshed Senior Member

For who never saw my original post here is more about the boat:

This is a very high performance trimaran developed by Kurt Hughes for the Worrell 1000 race. The "old" Worrell 1000 was a off-shore flat out run from the FL Keys north for 1000 miles all out balls to the wall. It is not run any longer and has been replaced by the Tybee 500 which is controlled and broken down to just boats from several manufactures, a shade of the old race.

The idea was to give the crew a more comfortable ride than the usual perch hiked out on the high side of a beach cat. The very wide overall beam gives it a nearly equal righting moment to the cat. Unlike on the cat, the crew can be rested and focused during the long, wet race.

LOA 20’0”
    LOW 19-9”
    Beam 17’
    Draft 10” / 2’3”
    Weight 497lbs
    Displacement 906lbs
    Main 147sq’
    Jib 47sq’
    Spin 161sq’
    Total up wind 194sq’

Working with Kurt I’ve had the Main Hull redesigned with a flare in the hull above the waterline to add more room in the cockpit area of the hull, while keeping the wetted area of the hull the same as the initial design. The bow view shows the flair above the DWL and narrow keel. The deck was flattened and the lay-up schedule modified for 3/8" Foam / Carbon Fiber construction with 200 gram unidirectional X 2. The AMA’s will have 3 more inches of freeboard added and about an inch of beam. The spar and beams are going to be carbon composite instead of aluminum alloy. I will power the boat up with oversized sails (to plan) and to throw the crew on a wire off the windward side if desired. Additionally I'm adding steering from the ama's for the days that are just too nice to stay in the cockpit.

I have a website that I’ve been documenting the progress of this project www.themanshed.net. I plan to race the boat when completed and to pull a mold off of the boat, as a One-Off work is very labor intensive.

1 person likes this.
  5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Looking forward to seeing the final boat. Best of Luck!

6. themanshed

themanshed Senior Member

Coming along I have both sides of the main hull laid up and I’m fitting bulkheads.

7. themanshed

themanshed Senior Member

update

Ok here are the pics
    First two is the hull shape,
    Third is the bow sprit
    Fourth is the mold I'm buildinng for the connecting tubes (1/2 mold)

Attached Files:

8. themanshed

themanshed Senior Member

Fitting first two bulkheads

Attached Files:

9. themanshed

themanshed Senior Member

Few more pics as I get close to getting hulls joined.

Attached Files:

10. themanshed

themanshed Senior Member

Joined the hulls together. Working on lining up the deck the keel lined up very well.

Attached Files:

11. Obsession

Obsession Junior Member

Nice project! Congrats -- Looking good! Will keep my eyes open for the next update - keep the pictures coming!

12. DarthCluin

DarthCluin Senior Member

As a fellow Wrangler owner, I think putting the Jeep windshield on your boat is a nice touch (see picture 1 in your last post).:D
    Seriously, you are doing a great job. Take some pictures before you launch it, because after you launch it you will be having way too much fun.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.