tiki 21

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by ricardoribeiro, Dec 7, 2009.

1. ricardoribeiro

ricardoribeiro Junior member

I have plans to build the Tiki 21, I would not want to build in plywood, someone could suggest me a solid fiberglass laminate ?
    Grateful

2. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

I think you should speak to the designer

3. jamez

jamez Senior Member

I second that. Solid glass is likely to be heavier than ply. JWD have designed a few foam/glass boats, so the materials are not unknown to them.

4. ricardoribeiro

The most famous tiki, which went round the world, done in solid fiberglass
    http://www.roryandcookie.com/

5. ricardoribeiro

Paul Fischer site:
    19'6" WHITE SWAN

After many requests from clients, the 16’ Grey Swan has been stretched in this new version to 19’6’’, The beam has not been increased too much to enhance sailing performance and the additional 3’6’’ in length has greatly added to the space available for berths and stowage. The standard drawings show a four berth arrangement with cooker, fold away basin and space for a bucket w.c, However this may be changed to suit. The centreboard could also be changed for bilge keels or a central ballast keel. Construction is of pre-shaped frames, fore/aft members and bottom panel fastened together in a simple prefabricated assembly to which stringers are applied. The hull skin then goes on oversize to be trimmed later. A client has recently asked for the design to be modified for sheet grp construction so the plans now include details and all hull panel shapes for this fibreglass method of construction which requires no mould and is very similar to ply/epoxy construction (which can also be used). The plans also now include details of a modified centreboard arrangement along with details of an inboard engine installation. The engine is a 9 hp Yanmar and the new arrangement keeps the centreboard below the cabin sole with control to the cockpit.

this could not be done with the tiki?

6. Crag Cay

Crag Cay Senior Member

I think you need to get on the Wharram owner message boards.

"Cookie' was built using a couple of moulded hulls, but there have been other examples built using flat panels of GRP, some solid and more often (and preferable), foam cored.

7. ricardoribeiro

Build a wood plug and using cheap materials and a cast that gives me to take only two hulls in place that I have is more feasible, the deck I could use AIREX of 6 mm, which I really like to know is which thickness for fiberglass the hull, any suggestions for the laminate schedule

8. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

Moulds make glass boats

I think the reason Cookie was glass was that they could be moulded easily and mass produced. Using solid glass on a one off will take extra time and you will end up with a heavier and more flexible boat - especially with the flat sides of the Wharram.

Use Airex in the sides and deck. Maybe solid glass at the keel. I don't understand why you would not like ply in this regard. If you build it well out of ply it will produce a fab boat. Badly built ply will not.

9. jamez

jamez Senior Member

That is correct. However the hulls were professionally built out of a female mold, giving Rory a head start. Building from solid glass panels I would be worried about too much weight. If the boat is too heavy it won't perform as intended. Wharram should be able to give you the lay-up details for the production boat.

10. damies

damies Junior Member

Hi ricardoribeiro,

I looked at several used wharrams before eventually settling on a Piver Tri, but that's a story for another thread.

I like the wharram designs, and well built as per the plans, they are both pretty and also strong boats, deviate from the plans and things can go downhill very quickly, I have seen some real dogs. So if you are building a wharram and thinking about not following the plans exactly then use the forum in the link below, they are very helpful and friendly, and also extremely experienced in wharram designs, you are likely to even get a comment from James himself as he does frequent this forum:
    http://www.wharram.com/forum/

Also If you have already purchased plans from JWD, contact them directly, While I have no personal experience, from what I have read their support is excellent.

Also if you are dead set against ply/glass, there is a thread on the forum above about a tiki 31 that was built with aluminium, surprisingly turned out lighter than the ply/epoxy one built beside it, this thread may interest you? There is also many threads discussing other materials, with in depth discussion about material density, weight, and other parameters and how these affect each design.

Good luck,

Dave.

11. guzzis3

guzzis3 Senior Member

I've got taneui glass plans, they are still available, but it's foam sandwich not solid.

As has been said wharrams support is excellant, and the forum folks are knowledgable. I doubt I'd build one though, even though I've got tiki 30 and taneui glass. You can get a lot more boat for a lot less aggravation from other sources. Suppose it depends on your priorities.

If you really must build in glass why didn't you buy plans for a glass boat ?

Really like a link for that white swan design, not familiar with it at all...

12. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

13. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

What would the benefits be to do so :?:

See also Paul Fischers comments on the building methods for the White Swan:
    The whole page is recommended to read for the choice of building materials and construction method of the Tiki 21 in question.

Good luck!

Angel

14. sngatlanta

sngatlanta Junior Member

I really think you are misjudging the work evolved in building a mold. The quality of the mold is a direct link to the quality of the plug. Any imperfections in one will be carried forward to the final product. Molds are very time consuming and maybe this is not an issue for you. You first spend x number of hours to build the plug and then just as many if not more bringing the finish of the mold to as near perfect as possible. You will haul just as much material to the job site in one form or another so let that aspect go. Study the method and then ask more questions. I see you have posted this on every forum possible and are receiving about the same result. I have not seen your reply to the question; “do you have plans purchased from JWD for the Tiki 21?”

15. ricardoribeiro

Yes, complete plans, but...I'll look for something to give to build in fiberglass

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.