Ted Warren new Ultralight 20 trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Aug 29, 2012.

1. waynemarlow

waynemarlow Senior Member

Both military and civilian are now the same, the error was removed some time ago.

The extra aerial you talk of is a system used for surveying and for high precision. Basically a number of ground based aerials transmit the American data wave as per satellites.

But these ground based stations are a known precise location. So if your gps unit can work out precisely where at least 2 known locations are, it can then work out the errors from the satellites and then can correct those errors. Correcting the errors then gives much better precision.

2. champ0815

champ0815 Senior Member

I think you mean "differential gps" used in professional applications.
    However, even in personal use, the addition of a second (or external) antenna is useful insofar that depending on the location and the reception characteristics of the built in antenna of the gps unit more direct satellite connections are established resulting in a higher precision of positioning.

3. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Guys, I can't find any reference to the Ultralight 20 on Ted Warren's website anymore, have they had a change of mind?

4. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

5. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Thanks for that Dennis but when you click on the picture it redirects you to the main website where there's no further mention of the boat. Maybe its a website problem I don't know....

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

U20

I just set them an e-mail about the U20-we'll see what they say.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Ultralight 20

Heres an e-mail from Ted Warren that I have permission to publish here:

Hi Doug,

We do not make the UL20 as a regular production boat. We will make them on special
    order only, where we will quote the boat depending on configuration. We found that
    the orders were very custom as it was and it is better to work with the customer on
    configuration. I also think that the boat is much better with carbon beams and mast,
    which gets it into a higher price category, and down into the 180 lb range, I have my personal UL20 in the
    water in Salem this year. The boat is by far the best "beach multihull" that I have ever sailed,
    both from the performance aspect and the ease of sailing her fast and safely.

We have found that the market for this type of sailboat has passed
    and we would have to spend a significant amount of money in marketing to develop a
    market for her. She is also more expensive to make than our original estimates. You can
    still find the videos on You Tube.

Regards,
    Ted

8. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

Personally, if I was working a professional job and not a broke full-time college student, I would probably jump on an UL20, or something between that and the Diam 24. With that said though, my home-built 16 ft trimaran is looking more and more like the UL20 with each new modification, although I will most likely carry more sail, and probably not handle chop as well.

I am somewhat dissapointed that there is not much push for the UL20 to become more common, but at the same time, I'm glad to see the Diam 24 taking off, although they are very different boats, serving a very different market (Compare weight for instance, 180 vs 1000)

Also, can we see some footage of the UL20 sailing in the big stuff when it really pushes the boat to it's limits? I'm talking 4 foot waves, 20+ mph winds, Beach-cat conditions, Reefed main, capsize recovery, etc.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

It seems to me from the video's I've seen that the Diam 24 is badly in need of foils-I wonder if they'll go to ama foils? And/or a rudder T-foil?
    May be too much reinforcing to make it work......

10. DennisRB

DennisRB Senior Member

[​IMG]

Looks like foils would help. But I am sure the boat does fine without them.

11. RHP

RHP Senior Member

Many thanks Doug; thats disappointing news from Ted. If I interpret correctly, the demand for a beach-tri is smaller than initially thought and probably dominated by the Weta (which is also smaller) and that folks in the 20'-24' market space are prepared to spend more on 'full size' boats, like the Multi 23 (M23). I must be the only poor person out there...

12. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

If I could design the ideal race/beach/not-so-beach tri, It would be essentially a singlehanded Diam 24, probably in the 18 to 20 foot range with a beam of 14-16 feet, with a 31-35 foot mast, enough buoyancy to fly the main hull without much fuss, C shaped lifting boards in each ama, canting mast, triple rudders, self tacking blade jib, roller furling gennaker, and a weight target of 400 lbs. No trapeze, just the wide trampoline. Everything would have to be done singlehanded, so I might have to add one of those ugly masthead floats to make righting possible singlehanded. It must be able to keep up with a F18 or F20 catamaran (non foiling) in all conditions.

That's what would float my boat, at least at my age and youthfulness, so very much like the UL20, but I feel the D24 looks more serious, and goes for outright power instead of lightness like the UL20.

13. RHP

RHP Senior Member

The doubt I have concerning the UL20 is how well she'd handle short sharp seas. All fast boats look great in flat waters but the UL20 looks low on buoyancy for taking choppy seas head on.

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

==================
    I noticed that you include triple rudders? And you don't appear to include a rudder T-foil on one or more? C foils are excellent for foil assist but keep in mind that in the right conditions(depending on their design) they can still fly the ama. Only problem with that is that if they do the result is likely to be a crash. For almost the same area , weight and cost an UptiP foil could be used that would fly the ama-and maybe the whole boat IF you had T-foils on the main hull rudder or ama rudders.
    I hope you get the chance to design and build a tri the size and "tech" that you want!

15. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

I hope so too. I'd be willing to put T foils on the rudders(to pull down like on an F16) but I don't want to go full foiling. It doesn't match where I sail. The boat has to do well in whispers of wind and in steep rough chop, so foil assist makes more sense. It's like offshore conditions on a tiny scale. I could be wrong, I'm sure you have more experience designing boats than I do, but that's the conclusion I've come to.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.