Team Australia set to depart on Sydney to Auckland record attempt

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Corley, Oct 15, 2013.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

I like your idea, they really should have 'years' limitations for classes .... Keep the older boats in their class so average people can compete ....

2. oceancruiser

oceancruiser Previous Member

NZ Coastal Classic

Additional Photo.

Stealth Mission, do not know her design just before breaking her rig at the Start of Coastal Classic 2013, on NZ's Glorious, excellent sailing Waitemata Harbour, Hauraki Gulf, with it's many Islands and picturess beaches - bays, New Zealand, October 25, 2013.

http://www.sail-world.com/photo.cfm?NID=116054&Pid=235869&flash&width=1200

OC

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

4. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

5. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

The second part of the Sean Langman interview/article is not as interesting but still worth a read. Unfortunately it seems that Vodafone is not going to come across to race with Team Australia to Hobart this year instead focusing on corporate activity in NZ. Sean and his son Peter are going to race to Hobart with Grant Wharrington on Wild Thing. Team Australia are going to race in the Pittwater to Coffs and there is a rumor they will also come south to race in the Festival of Sails Melbourne to Geelong passage race. I'm looking forward to being able to check out the boat if they make it down.

http://www.sail-world.com/index.cfm?Nid=117469&refre=y&ntid=0&rid=1

6. oceancruiser

Vodafone: Did they ever consider racing to hobart. They have just had a refit and a couple of mast losses I doubt the sponsors would agree at any rate. Sounds Like BS false publicity by SEAN to try and drum along sponsorship.

And to infer because he can't race against Vodafone it does not make sense to race alone. What BS Surely he had a plan B and other multis if he had of invited them or even race alone. After all he would have all the Monohulls in front of him as targets to knock over. You don't need a boat trailing you to inspire to catch the front leaders to beat them. Or does he only make out he only invites boats he thinks he can beat.

Probably could not match it with the Ex speedboat canting keel dagger board Monhull Monster with a 44.3m - 5 spreader mast that acheived 28 knots during trials and tunning on the Auckland Harbor.
    Also against wild oats X1.

Sean going to do it on a safe solid monohull [ The Hobart. What a *****. ] Just because the wind prediction is for southerly winds.

What a cop out. !!!!

OC

7. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Well maybe Sean was only interested to compete in a race if he has someone to race over the course with. He holds the record time over the Sydney to Hobart route so there is no point revisiting that.

The rumor mill was saying that Team Vodafone had expressed interest in racing to Hobart perhaps the loss in the Coastal Classic was enough to convince them that they were lacking the boatspeed to compete with Team Australia without extensive modifications to their ORMA. It's no small cost to organize a team to come over the ditch you would want to be fairly sure that your boat was able to compete.

Sean likes all kinds of yachts and I'm sure he will enjoy the run south regardless of what type of boat he happens to be sailing on.

8. oceancruiser

So originally it was only a rumor all that advertising, promotion, news media releases and stuff. Confirms my posting it was all BS. If he is going to do the Hobart after all the media talk then why not on his own boat - as I said you don't need another boat when you have at least three of the top and fastest monohulls racing with a two hour handicap start as a target to catch and pass and beat your own record plus making a emphatic statement - Multihull - verses - mono hull which was the whole motivation and interest in the first place as well as proving to the single hull faternity a multihull could do and sail the Sydney Hobart equally as fast and safely. Plus hopefully convince the organisers that they should have a Multihull division.

Sean has already done the hobart in a monohull.

'Sean Langman’s MALUKA OF KERMANDIE, smallest yacht in fleet - 2012 Rolex Sydney Hobart Yacht Race'

Correction ; It was not speed that cost the Race For Vodafone, As stated before superior Tactician on board that knew the local conditions and superior race tactics, = Who Ex AC Skipper Chris Dickson.

If it was Speed then only at a small cost a sail the same as Team Australias new head sail would solve that issue. So your arguement does not hold water.

A small cost accross the ditch. Wages wear and tear ?

It will be good when you get your 40 footer in the water as for a small cost we will be able to see you sail the Coastal Classic.

OC

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

It's hard to believe that Team Vodafone brought their B game to the Coastal Classic and losing to Team Australia on home soil must have hurt. I hope TA will make the journey again to compete in the Coastal Classic as two ORMA's racing together is quite a sight.

Big square trimarans like these ORMA's put large loads on their equipment and structure there is always a real risk of breaking equipment or structural damage. On Team Vodafone's last trip across the ditch to Sydney the boat suffered slamming damage to the core when they had to heave to in a gale (or was it a previous visit, not sure) I doubt that was a cheap or easy repair. Not to mention the cost of the two mast repairs and maintenance I hate to think what a ORMA costs to keep on the water a year but then big monohull race boats are very expensive beasts too. It's probably one area where Sean has a decisive advantage owning his own shipyard must reduce the cost of ownership significantly.

I'd love to sail the Coastal Classic and it's definitely part of the plan if all the stars align on the project.

10. oceancruiser

You avoided answering the statements.

Racing. Them together for 600 nms being quite a sight. Then thats a admittance there is no speed difference. as well.

If your not sure then perhaps they did not have any damage accross the Tasman. If they received slamming damage it would have Auckland to Noumea or Fiji.

Remember making this posting, and causing all the interest. Was it re the Hobart - Multis putting pressure on the Sydney Club to include Multihulls or to drum up exposure for Team Australia.

"Corley
    epoxy coated Join Date: Oct 2009
    Rep: 691 Posts: 2,112

Ormas going to Hobart

This is definitely going to happen. It's a shame we couldn't negotiate with them successfully to arrange a start for the other multis that we had who were interested.

I can understand Sean's concern about capsizes and retirements etc even if I think they are unfounded. Category 1 multis are not thick on the ground in Australia even though some of them are close to meeting the requirements. Pittwater to Coffs race might be a valid first step and I know some guys who are looking at entering into that race if multis are included in the NoR. It's also good that Team Australia are going to compete in the Auckland to Bluff Race next year and that they are supporting Team Vodafone Sailing by visiting New Zealand.

THREAD : : :
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/ormas-going-hobart-47627.html

OC

11. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Team Vodafone changed their minds or had not confirmed it only Sean can give further information on that. Maybe Sean thought that taking Team Vodafone's interest to the CYCA and indicating they would run a rebel race would have been enough to see a multihull division added to the Sydney to Hobart race and it proved not to be adequate.

Sean expressed to me via email that they were going to race in accordance to what was said in the video interview which was released later that I've linked below. I approached Sean about joining their start with other privately owned cruiser/racer multihulls and they were not welcoming which was a disappointment.

http://www.multihullcentral.com/orma-60-trimaran-to-race-sydney-to-hobart/

Here is an article that mentions the damage that Team Vodafones ORMA suffered in the gales when they came over in 2011:

http://www.mysailing.com.au/news/vodafone-crew-spent-36-hours-hove-to-in-a-craft-not-suited-to-it

12. warwick

warwick Senior Member

Now what was this thread about? was it not the ORMA 60s.
    No offence to you Corley would the later part be better in your 40 foot single handed thread.

Or would OC not be able to find it.

13. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

14. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

15. Corley

Corley epoxy coated