Supernova trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by gpb, May 22, 2009.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

So, what ideas do you have for your mailable boat?

2. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

The 9M is on a trailer. I have no shortage of trailers 3. I have no shortage of boats 6 (3 kayaks). I have simply concluded that smaller boats get more use and provide more value.

3. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

When I have it to sell I will have it to show. I think there is more value to starting with manufacture to establish one design. Home or kit build can be considered by the class or if manufacture flops.

By mailable I mean no parts longer than 6ft -that's where premium charges start. I think airlines charge a premium for luggage over 50lb but something 6ft might already pay. Existing breakdown kayaks tend to target 3ft storage length. 4ft would fit inside almost all cars. I am not sure about urban bus and rail but they take bikes now. Charter bus no problem.

Another idea I have is that the ability to go from paddle to sail to paddle in seconds on the water and that this allows the sail to be designed for higher wind when it is needed. Wind gets annoying to paddle into between 7 and 10 knots. This is where I want the user to be able to deploy the sail and be able to sail near hull speed and tack through 90deg. This design is more for adventure race/tour than sail regatta which could be offered later with higher performance and price.

4. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

You have set yourself a mighty target there Skyak.
    Good luck.
    If you can pull that off it will be a winner. :D

5. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

How long till I get to see one of these?

6. Nnnnnnnn

Nnnnnnnn Junior Member

Some inspiration for mailable boat :) May be not very mailable due to 150 kg dry weight, but can be disassembled in three 160x60x60 cm packs, can be sailed and rowed. Made from Al-Mg alloy.
    It's Yantar (Amber) trimaran from USSR.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

The weight seems a bit excessive for strong alloy. I suspect the cost follows the weight up. It does look like a very capable expedition craft for two though. It looks like it has a serious rowing configuration for two with the floats retracted. I also suspect that the three packs of boat have room for additional equipment. It would be better if they stored in one pack 160X60X80 but the three packs serve as suitcases in shipping. It has another attribute I want in my designs -a bottom that does not depend on highly stressed fabric -safety should not depend on air pressure. Leaks are too common with age. I don't even like stressed skin over stringers below the waterline but it's better.

Thanks for sharing what's going on with portables in Russia NNNN. Maybe we need a portables thread....

8. Nnnnnnnn

Nnnnnnnn Junior Member

:) As it was usual in USSR, Yantar was built as side product of large shipyard. Main occupation of this shipyard was missile frigates and LST building. I think, they used the same designing approach and some spared materials on this trimaran.
    To spare place in packs you can replace hard floats by inflatable, for example.
    But the use of PVC/fabric gives great improvement in “mailability”, IMHO. For example, sail, floats, rudder, dagger and some other parts for boat on the picture, were transferred from Russia to Thailand by plane, then boat was assembled using local bamboo, sailed in Аndaman sea, disassembled, and valuable parts were returned back.

[​IMG]

You can ask hob from this thread about details.
    http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/multihulls/incredible-inflatable-catamaran-48617.html
    “Necessity is the Mother of Invention” :)
    Lack of personal cars and not great road network in USSR created great need in boats, which could comply with 220 cm public transportation limit.

9. nigel34

nigel34 Junior Member

centreboard

hi, i've made a template but need to check your dimensions .please can you included the pivoting point & thickness .
    when the plate is down is it vertical ? thanks Nigel

10. nigel34

nigel34 Junior Member

yellow monstrosity??????

it weighs 92kgs
    car tops no problem . load it my self
    capsized it a few times some times on purpose , easily righted on my own .

never sailed a cat but looking to buy a dart sting (are they any good )?

11. nigel34

nigel34 Junior Member

tri

have you repaired yours ,or are the parts for sale ?

12. nigel34

nigel34 Junior Member

tri submarine

hi, the main hull sits well in the water in light winds .but it tends to dig in in strong winds (white caps ) no matter how far back i sit

13. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Maybe you should install a water ballast tank in the back of the main hull like the big French maxi trimarans :).

14. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

NNNNN

I love that Russian ingenuity!

Dasvadanya,

Wayne

15. Blackburn

Blackburn Senior Member

I'm not familiar with it Nigel. But is there an active fleet in your vicinity? I'd always opt for a boat I can race with locally, and then preferably a 2-handed craft.

That's one of the things that fortunately led to my domestic bliss. My wife-to-be was the absolute best crew of all the many people I'd sailed with.

:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.