Suggestions on home build

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by CutOnce, Aug 29, 2012.

1. bruceb

bruceb Senior Member

Choices

C-once, I have seen a couple of 22' "trailer tris" up for sail this past year, and both were under 20K here in the US, and didn't sound as if they needed too much work. A Reynolds 21 cat might be another to consider- they slide open to about 12' beam for sailing and are quite light and quick, but on the lower end of sleeping room. Usually around 5-7K when you find one. ( I know of one that might be for sale, the owner recently purchased a C 24 mkI).
    Most of the other suggested boats IMO:p don't fit your requirements very well- either too slow, too small, too open, and/or not very practical to trailer regularly. I watch our local fleet of C/F-boats and other assorted multis and none of them over beach cat size are "easy", and as we get a little older, large masts and boats that set high on their trailers become less attractive.
    Think small, and how many people REALLY want to sleep on your boat- and how often. The quicker it is to set up, the more YOU will use it. B

2. groper

groper Senior Member

i know you were interested in infusion, but foam cored panels are not cheap... you would be looking at near $20k in materials alone to build the shell, and the stiffness and weight advantage you get from sandwich panels isnt really significant when your dealing with smaller structures... For a smallish boat like your after, i would go for a thin plywood epoxy build.

Go for a design that uses developable panels, so single/simple curvature only, not too much compound curvature. Then you can make each full length panel via vac bag, and torture them into position, it should come together pretty quickly... but you will never get back the money for it, in terms of hours spent on it. IMHO, its worth building a larger boat if you want it to be worthwhile financially... failing that, there must be heaps of trailerable boats for sale at the moment...?

3. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Cutonce,

I don't know how far the "waters edge" is from Dallas Texas but there is a TrailerTri for sale. The price has gone down a good bit from the original price.

http://sailingtexas.com/201201/strailertri720.html

This is one of Farrier's early boats before he got into production mode.
    As an early ply design with the early folding crossarms it will not be as light as the current boats, but probably a good boat for what you want.

I think the price won't last long, but Texas is not very cutting edge.

Marc

4. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Comparing with Australian prices, that is exceptional, further the boat looks to be in extremely good condition !

5. Petros

Petros Senior Member

He posted he lives near the Ottawa river, which is perhaps a 1600 mile drive. But at that price he would be a fool not to buy it if that is what he wants. About a week or so of drive time and less than half the cost of materials, it would save him several thousand hours of build time and lots of $ to go get it and drive it home. Heck, he can even fly down, buy and truck to tow it, and drive it home, save 3 days of driving and still save money.

6. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Cutonce,

If the TrailerTri is something you would actually consider, I am about 80 Miles away and would take a camera to look at it.

Marc

7. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

8. P Flados

P Flados Senior Member

I just checked the exchange rate, 1.03 US$ to 1.0 AU$.

Sounds like the guy in Texas really should try to find someone who whats to make a long sailing trip to the land down under.

9. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

I've already emailed and will be calling him. At that price I'm very interested. I'll be in touch regarding a look see very shortly once I get a little better idea of things.

The drive is do-able. About 36 down, probably 48 back with two drivers. Canadian $ is close to par or above the US$, depending on the day and whether or not Bernake's talking too much.

--
    CutOnce

10. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

Hey now! Hahaha, Im from Texas and rebuilding a Crowther Buc28 down on Galveston Bay, lots of multis around here... buddy just dumped his Contour 50 last year to a military contractor. :(

No but you are right, that boat might sit on that price for quite awhile... but, not to offend either, because of its location near Dallas. Im sure the sailing is just as good.... but nothing like a constant seabreeze of 10-15kts daily we have here :)

Just poking fun.

But that is a very attractive price for that boat! Texas has some diamonds in the rough if you look long and hard enough. All kinds of crap sitting in barns and sheds around here. I know where an original Simpson & Wild tri is just sitting, lady who owns it was a fiancee of either simpson or wild, last I talked to her she said "make an offer and come get it outa my yard". :eek:

11. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Sail it to the East Coast of Australia and cash in !
    Did you get my pm's ?

12. 2far2drive

2far2drive Senior Member

hehe :)

I replied to the "adobe" question about 1 hour ago... did you get it?? Im very curious myself

13. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

yep, all good. But don't have Acrobat, am going to take files to print shop and see what they can do .:)

14. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

There also is a F27 in Dallas for $50K, but it has been at that price for at least 2 years.
    And a couple of Newick Arognautas for $17K and $32K in central texas.

When are you going to get the Simpson Tri?

15. CutOnce

CutOnce Previous Member

Thanks to all that have responded. I've contacted the seller and the boat is still for sale. If I lived within a four hour drive, I'd have already seen the boat.

I'm going to pursue this further, although I may not be able to move faster than a couple weeks due to US requirements for passports from Canada. Mine expired a couple months ago and will need fast track renewal - but no one is going to answer phones till Tuesday due to Labour Day.

Anyone driving from Texas to Michigan, New York state by the way? Have I got a deal for you!

--
    CutOnce

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.