<split> off topic posts from MPX thread

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

post 681 has been changed to put the tree used in perspective

2. Baltic Bandit

Baltic Bandit Previous Member

681 hasn't been edited at all. So I'm confused by the point you are seeking to make.
    Wood naturally recycles. Birch recycles fairly quickly. particularly if it is highly weathered. I built the boat with the intent that it would be a temporary workboat, mostly out of materials that were low environmental impact that would be recycled.

May not be the choices you would make, but its a project that was built, used and recycled. Something you asked about so I responded. But as I pointed out, its a thread hijack of Doug's thread. So if you want to discuss it in greater detail, feel free to start a thread on it.

Me? I'm not particularly interested in discussing something that is a finished project that basically uses known techniques and solutions to build a practical and workable solution.

3. oldsailor7

oldsailor7 Senior Member

As Shakespeare said:- "Much ado about nothing".

Now let's get on with the thread.

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Amen to that.

5. Baltic Bandit

Happy to.

Back to the question. What's the completion estimate doug?

6. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

What I have never understood is why it matters so much to you? I've never seen so much verbiage directed at one poster who is simply enthusiastic and wants to share that enthusiasm. I understand that you don't agree with Doug's assertions neither do I at times but why should he be silenced? He is entitled to his view on foiling and it's applications in sailing. There is also a very effective ignore function that works just fine for most people if you don't want to read his posts.

I'd be more interested to hear about your own projects your stitch and glue workboat catamaran or a report on sailing the F40 Cottonelle (sounds like great fun). Apart from anything else the thread bumping is meaning Doug's post is getting more attention than it otherwise would.

7. cavalier mk2

cavalier mk2 Senior Member

Post 681 does have some changes, but not everybody notices details. Moving along, Doug is under no obligation to answer the question even though he did several pages ago when he posted it would be finished when it was finished. Another detail and very nice of him, considering.

8. Baltic Bandit

Where am I silencing Doug? Being interested in the boat means I'd be interested in seeing if it meets its design aspirations. And since we've seen the boat being initially discussed over 3 years ago and the build process starting just shy of 3 years ago - seeing it essentially complete, it seems logical to ask when will it actually be there for us to see what works and what doesn't.

Aren't you the least bit curious?

9. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

Curious? Not really, It's his own passion this stuff and it's nice on a personal basis to have lofty goals to aspire to. I'm happy with his "when it's done" answer as I'm not personally invested in the success or failure of his project, why should I be?

As to building timeframes they are always subject to slippage due to real life issues including lack of money, family commitments or work obligations. It's good to cut people slack rather than be an internet policeman, who is it going to hurt if it takes Doug another three years to finish this model or it never gets done?

10. Baltic Bandit

Well I understand about family commitments getting in the way and $$ as well (hence why I have not yet built my Swift Solo that I've got plans for)

It is Doug's project. But I'm curious to see how much of what he has said this will show, actually works.

11. tmark

tmark Junior Member

Patience is a virtue :)

Also, given the tone of many of your posts at Sailing Anarchy it's normal that your presence here would be met with suspicion, even more so since your interest seems uniquely directed to Mr Lord.

Perhaps accepting the answers given, rather than insisting on a right to know would incline some good will your way ...

In the meantime I urge the moderators to return this thread to a what it properly should be, a discussion about Mr Lord's project ...

12. Baltic Bandit

I thought the moderator said something about other venues?

And I've been scrupulous about focussing on Doug Lord's project except when directly attacked or asked a question. I suggest that had Doug not acted outside the bounds of the posting requirements, this thread would never have gone astray.

I ask you - what in my previous post is not on topic? And I ask you - what in your post, including your demand of moderators - is?

13. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

Baltic Bandit, I believe the frustration is that it seems your motivation in joining may be only to carry on a fight that started elsewhere, and that's not what the forum here is meant for. The post which sparked this has now been redacted so hopefully this will not continue here.

It would be better to keep whatever fight occurred elsewhere where it started.

It's understood that you are eager to see a definitive final result. You asked what the completion date was estimated to be, and got a reply that there is no set date. That may not be the answer you wanted, but it's Doug who is building this model, not you, so it is what it is. Asking the same question many times doesn't really add or change anything.

Rather than disrupt the thread repeating the same criticism which doesn't add anything new, those who find the timeline frustrating would be better served to simply go and read something else that interests you. Or, start your own project where you can control how conservative or far reaching the goals are, the budget, and the timeline.

By the replies you can see that there are many people who do find it interesting to follow the trials and tribulations and every small detail of building the model. So let's let the thread proceed for those who are interested.

14. Baltic Bandit

As I said I was just moving to put the thread back to where it was

I was just moving to put the thread back to where it was before a series of the posters started attacking me personally. I understand its Doug's boat.

But have I attacked anyone in this thread or accused them of anything?

OTOH have I been attacked or accused of things here? Frankly my preference would be to have all of the intervening thread drift posts deleted. That would put the thread back to where it was and also remove the insinuations about me.

Remember I responded in this thread after Doug Lord made vile accusations about me.

15. Boat Design Net Moderator

Boat Design Net Moderator Moderator

This seems reasonable. These thread drift posts have now been split off the original thread from the point of the first post he made about you so hopefully the bickering between you two can stop or at least not bleed over from wherever the disagreement started to the forum here.

Hopefully now the original thread can remain interesting for those who are interested in following the details of the model the OP posts there and not bother those who find the timeline frustrating as they are not drawn into it or forced by any means to read it. Thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.