Boat Design Forums  |  Boat Design Directory  |  Boat Design Gallery  |  Boat Design Book Store  |  Thanks to Our Site Sponsors
Old 04-15-2017, 03:52 PM

Rep: 10 Posts: 12
Nice work, hope the weather improves soon. Is the sail and rig an adaptation or made to suit?
Old 04-15-2017, 04:46 PM

Rep: 14 Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayaqua View Post
Nice work, hope the weather improves soon. Is the sail and rig an adaptation or made to suit?
Thanks! I hope that too.
The sails where custom made by North for the previous version of the boat. I have rebuilt the main hull, side hulls and beams. Added some inches here and there but the sails should still fit. The mast is the same but I have customized it a little to be rotating this time.

But we will see if it works or if I have to rebuild something good. The gennaker I still haven't figure out how to furl/rise :-)

Chris
Old 04-15-2017, 05:32 PM

I'm in the same boat! in a manner of speaking; building a sailing/paddling tri kayak. Still working on outrigger wings and pontoons. You may be interested in the Triak I think it's called; Has developed different ways for the gennaker. I developed a dual wing spinnaker system for my original kayak sailing up to 4 sq mtr. Now I have carbon wind surf mast but no ideas yet about a sail which I'll need to furl or rise. Rise probably to start with. Maybe rings sliding in a track? Something easy.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:22 AM

Rep: 14 Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayaqua View Post
I'm in the same boat! in a manner of speaking; building a sailing/paddling tri kayak. Still working on outrigger wings and pontoons. You may be interested in the Triak I think it's called; Has developed different ways for the gennaker. I developed a dual wing spinnaker system for my original kayak sailing up to 4 sq mtr. Now I have carbon wind surf mast but no ideas yet about a sail which I'll need to furl or rise. Rise probably to start with. Maybe rings sliding in a track? Something easy.
Yes! It would be interesting to know how you rise the gennaker. I really need some good solution for this

Chris
Old 04-17-2017, 08:34 AM

Rep: 134 Posts: 359
Have a look at top down furling for spinnakers on YouTube.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:25 PM

Sail systems

I've only developed a spinnaker system for my kayak designs. The Triak is a US design and build using a furling main and a gennaker that rises and stows into a snuffer box in the bow. Here's a link to the developer of the system; There may be better info on the net. http://www.morrellimelvin.com/triak/

Old 04-17-2017, 11:59 PM

I rise the spinnaker with a looped halyard running over a wheel on top of mast and through a cleat on the deck just in front of cockpit and behind the mast. I'm able to release the halyard from cleat and sheet in the spinnaker head to my hands and stow it. I can't describe too much about the sheet end attachments in public forum other than to say I'm able to control the luff and leach of the sail. But this system may not be suitable for a gennaker sail which requires to be attached to bow or maybe a bowsprit.