Small trimarans under 20'

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Jun 24, 2012.

1. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

2. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Where is the footage - Video?
    I still want to see it, please?

3. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I think this is the video that was being refered to of the Akila 19 trimaran. The quest for 20 knots the title suggests seems a bit unlikely in the conditions shown just not enough wind horsepower or sail area and neither of them need to trap at that wind strength.

https://youtu.be/YtS9pUoQrco

4. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

Yes, for some reason I seem to be having trouble with youtube links on here. Sorry about that. That's the video I meant.

5. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Thanks RC and Corley-nice trimaran.......Looks like it would be real fast.

6. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

The video poster says "The ice has gone ten days ago and the Akila will be back in the water soon. More videos to come."

7. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

8. Kayaqua

Kayaqua Junior Member

Kayak tri project

A kite surfing rocket sport yet to take off?
    I'm building a sailing Tri-kayak with 2.3 m asymmetric hulls. I thought maybe these hulls would assist to windward and tacking. I have a clever system for one handed spinnaker gibing and hope to use a main something similar in size to a windsurfer. And the outrigger wing design will enable paddle and sail. Might have to paddle through the tack. But will asymmetric hulls assist?

9. Manfred.pech

Manfred.pech Senior Member

The question is: will asymmetry reduce leeway? When Hobie Alter copied the hulls of Woody Browns catamarans and developed H14 and H16 with great economic success he was convinced that asymmetry would do exactly this. Later he said that it is the horizontal board of the flat outside which provides some leeway resistance.[​IMG]
    If you want help from asymmetry you have to develop the special profile and test how it works under certain angles of attack. I think it is the flat outside of the hull which gives you the possibility to go to windward. If you use a simple keel you might be better to windward.
    The may be best solution I saw from one of the famous Gougeons (Meade ?) with a deep long centerboard outside of the hull.
    [​IMG]
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?176034-Meade-Gougeon-s-sailing-canoe-trimaran

Another approach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDaEwdhyRhM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rnldw_w4CY

10. Kayaqua

Kayaqua Junior Member

Sure a centerboard or daggers under pontoons is great for leeway but also I feel that when heeling over even a small degree, the more rounded (longitudinaly) outside pontoon may assist turning through the tack and any depth of hull below water line including skeg or dagger/centerboard also provides a turning fulcrum or pivot point which as you say is preventing leeway. If the water has further to travel along the outer side of hull then there should be more pressure I think much like a wing sail. Just my feeling as I have no academic learning, though I used to sail a 14' Windrush cat that had deepish asymmetric hulls but know fins. I did however make very deep dagger rudders which may have helped.

Attached Files:

11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Lombard Foil Assist Small Tri

This was just found on Freds "Foilers!" site and is a tantalizing glimpse at a Marc Lombard designed small trimaran with "C" ama foils and a rudder t foil. No details unfortunately! Nothing on Lombards site either. Just guessing: 16-18'?
    UPDATE-I wrote to Fred and he's going to try to contact Lombard.....

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  12. rcnesneg

rcnesneg Senior Member

Woa! That looks very tantalizing! Thanks!

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

15. ThomD

ThomD Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.